vii. somebody to love

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r s e v e n . . .

Three months had passed since what Lola still classed to be the most eventful night (and morning after) of her life: discovering that her boyfriend was a cheater, the incident at the pub, having Alex save her, staying the night at his, officially ending her relationship with Jack and Alex leaving never to be seen again.

Stating the latter sounded extremely dramatic, when in truth, it wasn't. Lola, in all honesty, hadn't paid Alex much mind after that night. He was a nice person and she was grateful for what he had done, but three months had gone past and she hadn't thought too much of that night since. She was relieved to leave all of the drama behind.

Life continued and Lola filled her time with work, spending time with Elowen and focusing on loving herself. She was by no means eager to find a new relationship.

In fact, Lola had decided that she would take a long break from dating. The heartbreak and pain from her time with Jack had emotionally wounded her, causing her to seal her heart off. She knew that not all men were as awful as he had been, but she still maintained the belief that she needed a break from dating and romance.

Elowen, however, disagreed.

It was Elowen's opinion that to recover from her disastrous relationship with Jack, Lola needed to find somebody new to date. Therefore, she had taken it upon herself to set Lola up with who she believed to be a suitable boyfriend.

"There's always some of my colleagues from work," Elowen proposed. "I reckon you and Cillian would make a cute couple."

"Cillian's a right miserable git. Last time I went to your Costa, I dropped my straw on the floor and he charged me 50p for another one and then gave me a lecture on how climate change was single-handedly the fault of idiots like me."

"Well, maybe not Cillian then. I'm sure I can find someone for you though."

Lola frowned. "I seriously don't want to go on a date, El. I'm happy enough being single."

"I know you are, Lola, but I'm just trying to help. I want to prove that there really is love out there in the world. Jack just happened to be a dick."

Despite Lola's continual protests against going on a date with somebody she had never met before, in the end, she decided to pretend to agree to satisfy Elowen and just not turn up to the date. Unfortunately for her, Elowen appeared to see through this plan.

"Actually, why don't we make it a double date?" she suggested, enthusiastically. "To be honest, I don't know many single guys, but I'm sure my wonderful boyfriend has some wonderful single friends for you."

Automatically, Lola's smile fell, as she realised there was no way out. Elowen wouldn't stop pestering her until she agreed to the double date and if the date was going badly, it wasn't as though she could climb out of the bathroom window. It wouldn't only reflect quite badly on her, but Elowen too.