iii. saving lola kissinger

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r t h r e e . . .

Lola tumbled down the steps onto the pavement, as the houses shifted and waltzed around her. Barely taking three staggering paces, she felt nausea rise in her throat and she bent over, causing sick to splatter onto the concrete and over her skirt. The brunette groaned and toppled over onto the ground for the second time that night.

Just before her head could come into contact with the pavement, Alex caught her, wrapping his strong arms around her. "I've got you. It's alright." He picked her up bridal style and carried her to his car.

"Why are you doing that? You'll have sick on you too now," Lola pointed out.

"Well, I'm not going to let you injure yourself anymore." He playfully rolled his eyes and grinned.

When they reached Alex's car, he opened the door and helped Lola into the passenger seat. The alcohol prevented her from doing anything for herself, so he did up her seatbelt, then shut the door and got into the driver's side.

"Wait, my car's here! I can't leave it."

"Well, you aren't really in a position to drive it, love. We'll think about that in the morning. Right now, we just need to get you to bed, so you can sleep all of this off."

Alex turned on the ignition and began to drive back to his place. His apartment wasn't too far from the Rose and Crown: approximately a 20 minute drive, which wasn't awful. He lived on his own, but his friends would visit him most days or he would go out to see them. He always appreciated the company.

After only 5 minutes on the road, Alex looked next to him to see Lola completely passed out in the passenger seat. Her head was rested against the window and her eyes were firmly shut. Seeing the rise and fall of her chest relieved him to see that she was at peace, for probably the first time that night.

Alex couldn't even begin to comprehend what a horrific night she had had. Being cheated on was awful enough. (He knew the pain it caused all too well for his liking.) But even worse than that, having some drunk stranger make a move on you must be horrendous.

It annoyed Alex that he hadn't punched the guy from the pub, since he most definitely deserved it. However, his main concerns at the time had just been to rescue Lola and get her safely out of the way - which he supposed he had done.

By the time he pulled up outside his apartment, Lola was still fast asleep and Alex had no intention of waking her. Instead, he picked her up in the same fashion he had done earlier and walked her up the stairs. Five flights to be specific. The lift was broken and had been since he moved in. It had never really afflicted him before, but at that moment, he really wished he could use it.