viii. the boathouse

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r e i g h t . . .

As the clock struck 9 o' clock precisely, Lola and Elowen pulled up outside the Boathouse in the former's car. Elowen was grinning widely, however the same could not be said for Lola. A scowl graced her features, still irritated that she was forced to go on a double date with Elowen and her boyfriend.

"Cheer up," Elowen rebuked, jokingly. "It's meant to be a nice night."

"A 'nice' night I didn't want to come to in the first place," Lola retorted.

"Does it make it any better if I say no matter how the date goes, I promise to buy you a drink?"

A grin flickered across Lola's scarlet lips. "Make that two and you have a deal."

"Why do you have to barter for everything?" Elowen chuckled. "Fine. If you try and have a nice time, I'll buy you two pints." She outstretched a hand.

Lola clasped it and shook it, smirking. "You have yourself a deal."

The two girls smiled widely at each other, before entering the building.

The interior was beautiful. There was an oaken bar, decorated with fairy lights and glowing lanterns; various pristine tables, finished off with gorgeous rose centerpieces; and of course, (as most pubs do) a corner with a pool table, darts and assorted fruit machines. The atmosphere seemed warm and homely, free from the drunken slurs of men and women, who had had their minds polluted by excessive amounts of alcohol. The Boathouse looked delightful. It was no ordinary pub: far from the likes of The Rose and Crown and your local Wetherspoons. (Lola would never intentionally slag off a 'Spoons however.)

As they stood in the entryway, both Lola and Elowen scanned the tables to see if their dates had already arrived, being courteously early. Elowen couldn't find her boyfriend or the friend he had brought along (not like she would recognise him anyway - her partner hadn't told her who he would be bringing). She withdrew her phone from a black handbag and positioned it in her hands, ready to start texting, until she was cut off by Lola.

Having been glancing around the diners for El's boyfriend and whoever he was bringing, Lola had been greeted with the most surprising sight. She looked closer and sure enough, her previous thoughts had been confirmed. Lola had found the two men - Elowen's boyfriend and his friend.

The former looked up with a wave, flashing her a bright smile and nudging the latter. His friend looked up too and saw the girls standing there. He ran a hand through his dark brown hair, quiffed with gel, in confusion and his eyebrows furrowed, forming a bewildered expression.