xii. working nine to five

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r t w e l v e . . .

If one thing was for sure, Dolly Parton was right when she said "Working 9 to 5, what a way to make a living!" Lola believed the fabulous, blonde country icon could do no wrong and she was proven right yet again. Working sucked!

Of course, Lola was an independent woman and loved providing for herself (as the suffragettes of the past had given her the opportunity to do so), but if she had the chance to marry rich and spend the rest of her days living in luxury, she would certainly not pass up the offer!

Several weeks had passed since the night at the Boathouse and Lola found herself in desperate need of a job. Elowen had mentioned something to her one night about a great opportunity for a job she'd love, so she thought she had nothing to lose.

She sat shifting uncomfortably in a chair outside the interview room. There were about fifty other girls and only 2 positions. She just had to remain optimistic that she'd get the job, but the knowledge that there was only a 4% chance of success, left Lola quite anxious to say the least.

The sound of creaking caused all the girls to look up. A woman in her mid-40s appeared, a clipboard in hand.

"Lola Kissinger, we're ready for you."

Breathing deeply, Lola stood up. It was fine. She could do this. It was just an interview, right? To make things better, she was pretty talented at her job, so surely it would be fine. Wouldn't it?

Entering the interview room, Lola seated herself opposite two men and a woman. The first man was in his middle 40s. He was tall with dark brown hair and a beard, which was starting to fade to grey. Wrinkles were beginning to crease at his forehead and around his eyes, a tell-tale sign that he was getting on in years.

"I'm Ian," the man introduced himself. "I'm the manager and my colleagues here" - he gestured to the other man and woman - "are talent agents, who have been examining your capability for this job."

The metronome of Lola's heartbeat increased its tempo, as the song of her heart changed from slight nerves to bubbling anxiety.

"We've read through your resumé," Ian continued. "It's evident that you're a very good dancer. You say you've danced in productions of Grease, Hairspray and Dirty Dancing amongst other things?"

"Yes, they're some of the highlights of my career." A smile bloomed on Lola's lips.

It wasn't a total lie. She had acted in all three musicals... they were just her high school productions... and she may have not been Sandy, Tracy or Baby, so much as Random Ensemble Member #25.

"Well, you may be slightly overqualified for this job." Ian chuckled to himself. "But, you are definitely a good candidate."

That was positive. They thought she was a good candidate. She might just have a shot at this.