Chapter 1

She was early

She was early.

This will be our seventh date, by now, I shouldn't be surprised. Tardiness was not one of her traits.

I stood outside the Italian restaurant, hands in my pockets, staring through the large windows. There was a voice in my head telling me to turn around and walk away, forget about this ridiculous deal and hit the road. I couldn't do that though, not to my father, or even the woman sitting in that restaurant, waiting for me.

I'm not the only one who agreed to this deal, I reminded myself. She was as much a part of this as I was.

Exhaling a deep breath, I shoved open the restaurant door. A little bell chimed, informing the hostess of my arrival. She started to smile-- before she could greet me, I made a beeline for the table Toni was seated at.

She was wearing a soft pink blouse and a white pencil skirt, her honey blond hair pulled into a high pony tail on her head. The perfect description of a good girl.

She smiled politely when as I slid into the chair opposite her. "Good evening, Sawyer."

It was too formal, like this was a business deal rather than a date. In some ways, I guess it was.

I still fucking hated it.

"Good evening."

Her thin lips pursed into a tight line when I didn't smile. She hated that about me. Not that I could blame her, I hadn't been trying very hard to make this work. I just couldn't bring myself to want this. I wanted my father's business to succeed, I wanted that business to one day be mine. I also wanted to fix the mess-- excuse me, messes, I'd created. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to want her. The perfect good girl that was always early, ordered a salad on every date, and never once uttered a curse.

It wasn't her fault that I was attracted to the bad girls. The ones that could knock three shots of vodka back without flinching. The ones that knew how to fuck you with their eyes before they ever fucked you between the sheets. Those girls, the bad and the broken, are the ones I'd always wanted. They screwed me over every time, tarnishing the family name over and over again, and still I couldn't help but want that type. Only that type.

"How was your day?"

Thank fuck the waiter stepped up to our table before I had to answer that boring question with an equally mundane answer.

"What can I get for you today?" He asked.

"A shot of vodka."

Toni shot me a look from across the table, her lips pursing until they became almost non-existent. "Honey, I don't think that's a good idea."

She was right, it was a dumb idea to drink out in public, but fuck, I needed it to take the edge off.

"I'll take some white wine," she told the waiter, smiling warmly back at him.