Chapter 22

Orion wouldn't get off my back about coming over to visit again

Orion wouldn't get off my back about coming over to visit again. They wanted me to bring Toni--that right there was reason enough for me to decline. Hell to the no. He persisted until told him I would 'discuss it with her.' As long as he thought I was meeting him half way, he let the subject drop. I had no intention of discussing anything of the sort with Toni, until I started towards the kitchen and heard her and Kaylee talking.

"If you want to meet his friends, just ask him." I heard Kaylee say. From the hallway, I couldn't see either of them, but I could hear them clear as day. They thought I was still conversing with Orion.

"I will, when the time is right." Toni said timidly.

She wasn't going to ask me. I could hear the fear in her voice. It bothered me a little, if I was being honest with myself. How were we suppose to build a relationship if we couldn't talk about these things? Was she just going to force everything that was bothering her to the back of her mind until she exploded? I didn't want that.

I walked around the corner into the kitchen, acting like I hadn't just been eavesdropping on them. At least, not their entire conversation. "Time's right for what?"

She flipped around on the stool to face me, moving too fast. She went toppling to the floor, looking up at me like a deer caught in the headlights. Her big blue eyes widened considerably. "To start decorating for Halloween!"

Kaylee gave her an odd look. She bent towards the floor, speaking quietly, but not so quiet that I couldn't hear. "Your window of opportunity is closing--closing--aaaand, it's gone."

Toni sent her a sharp look. "I'll do it, okay. I just.. it's not a good time. The timing has to be just right."

She looked at me then, as if just remembering that I was still in the room. Her pale skin turned a dark shade of red. "To decorate, of course.."

"Right."

Rolling her eyes, Kaylee hopped off of the stool she was sitting on and started to approach me. "So, when are you going to introduce Toni to your friends? She's just dying to meet them."

I chuckled, offering a hand to Toni. She accepted it, pinching Kaylee when she was within reaching distance. Kaylee flinched, but didn't back down.

"Well?"

I struggled to force the words out. This was something couples did. They met each others friends. They hung out together and all that shit. Toni wouldn't like my friends, they weren't her usual cup of tea. I couldn't help but wonder how she would react to them. Would she turn around and run for the hills? Maybe there was a way I could come off as care-free about her meeting my friends and turn her away from the idea at the same time. Make it seem like she's making the decision to stay away from them.

"Actually, they invited us to come over tonight." I said as casually as I could. I'd been told by a number of people that I was a good liar, but it never felt like I was. My face always felt hot and my voice never sounded right.