Chapter 30

I was nervous

I was nervous.

Could I really do what Tanya taught me?

What if I wasn't any good at it?

She had more confidence in me than I did myself. An amateur could do it, she'd said. Apparently I didn't need any experience, I just needed to know the few things she'd told me. I should have shown she would give me bedroom advice when I started telling her about my boy troubles.

Releasing a breath I hadn't known I'd been holding, I parked the car in front of my house. It'd been a long morning. I couldn't focus on class at all, not after what Tanya had suggested I do. Kaylee would know if it was a good idea, I should ask her, but I didn't want to. I'd already asked too much of her. I mean, for the love of all things pink, I asked her to give Sawyer a hickey. A hickey. Shaking my head, I stepped out of the car and started for the house. Right as I was about to open the door, I spotted Kaylee crouched on the ground by the corner of the house.

I approached slowly, confused as to why she was outside and appeared to be hiding. "What are you doing?"

She jumped a little, startled by my appearance, then broke out into a huge smile. "Preparing for war."

"Why do I even ask?"

She gestured for me to be quiet, took the two water balloons at her feet that I hadn't noticed before, and darted around the corner. I followed, beyond curious now.

She had her arm raised to throw one of the balloons, but before she could, she was pelted with a red one. It hit her smack in the chest, exploding upon impact. "Motherfucker!" She squealed.

I'd never heard a sound like that come from her before.

Sawyer laughed from by the pool, juggling the other balloon he had. She threw both of her balloons at him, one hit, the other soared past him into the pool when he dashed to the right. I blinked and he was gone.

She started for the pool, so I followed hesitantly.

"Where'd that fucker go?" She asked, eyes searching.

"Have you been at this all morning?" I asked, taking note of her drenched tshirt and shorts.

She was about to answer me, when Sawyer ran right past me, wrapped his arms around Kaylee's waist, and catapulted the both of them into the pool. I stood there and just stared, jealous that the two of them seemed to be getting along so well. She was my best friend who hardly liked anyone, I wasn't use to sharing her. Sawyer and I didn't even have that much fun together, he didn't smile that easily, or laugh like he was when his head broke the water.

Kaylee tried to force him back under, hands on his shoulders. "I'm afraid I have to drown him now, sorry not sorry, Toni."

Sawyer was grinning from ear to ear. He grabbed Kaylee by the waist again, throwing her like she weighed nothing. Then he swam to the edge of the pool and smiled at me with water on his eyelashes. He was fully clothed, but he looked amazing. His tshirt was sticking to his well defined chest, dark hair falling into his eyes.

My heart gave out a little stutter.

"I left you something in the kitchen." He said.

I was about to warn him that Kaylee was right behind him and her hands were raised like she was in one of those murder movies. I didn't warn him fast enough. She managed to get him under water and from there they started splashing each other, yelling insults.

It was strange.. seeing them like that.

I would come back out, maybe even join them, after I found out what surprise was in the kitchen. I took the glass sliding door on the side of the house, too impatient to walk around to the front. Luckily they'd left it unlocked. From the living room, I spotted the vace full of pink roses and a little note next to it.

I gasped, running across the living room. This wasn't real. I couldn't believe my eyes. In all the time we'd gone on dates, he'd never brought me flowers. Not once. I took the note excitedly, half expecting it to tear under my eager hands.

 I took the note excitedly, half expecting it to tear under my eager hands

Two simple words written in sloppy handwriting. It didn't matter, he apologized, he bought me flowers. I couldn't have been more ecstatic. As I started counting them one by one, I decided I would in fact go through with what Tanya had suggested. There was no doubt in my mind anymore, I could do it.

Thirteen.

Friendship.

I shrugged, it was unlikely he even knew that a certain number of roses held meaning. Besides, it was friendship and that was better than nothing.

"Do you like them?" Sawyer asked nervously.

I turned around, still clutching the note to my chest, to see him and Kaylee standing in the doorway of the glass sliding doors.

"I love them."

I set the note back on the counter, smelt the flowers, then rushed across the kitchen and living room to take his hand. He looked at me with confusion written across his face, dragging his feet slightly when I started pulling him towards the hallway.

"What are you doing?" He asked cluelessly.

"Oooh, somebody's about to get lucky." Kaylee said, laughing.

Sawyer gave me a nervous look when I pulled him into my bedroom and closed the door behind us. I threw my arms around his neck and pressed my lips to his. I kissed him softly, sweetly. He returned the kiss, placing his hands on my waist.

I prepared myself for what I was about to do. Pulling away from the kiss, I stood on my tiptoes to whisper in his ear. "I've been a bad girl daddy, don't you think you should punish me?"

Then I plunged my tongue into his ear.

His reaction was instant, he yanked out of my hold, yelling out in French, then English. "What the fuck?!"

 "What the fuck?!"