Chapter 10

"Let me see your bag

"Let me see your bag." Toni said calmly. She held her hands out expectantly, looking up at me with narrowed eyes. The pale blue and hints of green turned to slits.

"Why?"

"Kaylee, we aren't leaving until you hand over the purse."

I smiled widely at her, sitting down on the armrest of the couch. "Does that mean we can stay and order pizza?"

Sawyer made a sound of disbelief. "We had that last night."

"So?"

He shook his head, slinging his jacket over his shoulder like the hot CEO's always did in the movies. It was a tad bit cliché, if I'm being honest.

"Bag. Now."

"Okay, okay," I held out my purse."Little miss bossy."

She sighed, setting my purse down on the counter to riffel through it. "Spare underwear, a screw driver, sharpie--"

"Why do you have panties in your purse?" Sawyer asked. Confusion clouded over his face. He took a step closer to the counter, peering over Toni's shoulder to see the lacey baby blue fabric. He turned back around to lift an eyebrow at me.

"It's one of her rules." Toni said. She didn't look up from my purse, her hands still digging through it as if there was some kind of hidden treasure inside. Or more accurately, a weapon that could destroy the earth. "Always have spare underwear."

"Are you about done?" I asked impatiently. As much as I didn't want to go to this stupid event, I didn't like sitting here like a child in detention either.

She pulled out the taser from my bag. "What's this?"

"Haven't you ever seen a taser before?" I asked suspiciously. She watched crime shows all of the time. I sure would think they'd have used a taser once or twice. If not, they're clearly not writing a good plot.

Her high heeled shoes clicked against the floor. "I meant, why do you have a taser in your purse?"

"To use it, of course."

Was there any other reason to have one? I can't imagine keeping it just because I thought it looked pretty.

"What reason would you have to use it?" She asked. She began shaking her head back and forth, glaring at the taser like it was the most abominable thing to ever exist.

I shrugged one shoulder. "All kinds of things. For instance, what if someone gets on my nerves?"

"You can't tase people for the hell of it--"

"Why not?"

"Because," Toni breathed out an irritated breath. "You just can't."

"Your logic makes no sense to me."