Chapter 29

Rather than smack me repeatedly and call me a killer of flowers, Kaylee came with me to see the florist

Rather than smack me repeatedly and call me a killer of flowers, Kaylee came with me to see the florist. I was both grateful and nervous, which would explain why I reached out to open the door for her when we arrived.

She shot me a glare. "Don't you fucking dare."

I backed away slowly, shoving my hands into my pockets. "Sorry."

She eyed me closely, still glaring, before she opened the glass door. A little bell jingled, announcing our arrival to the pretty blond behind the counter. She greeted us with a wide smile. "Hello there! What can I help you with today?"

"You can start by toning down the enthusiasm," Kaylee said flatly, her gaze sweeping over the array of different flowers and pots. "It's still early, for fucksake."

The girl behind the counter forced a tight smile. "Do you know what you want, or would you like to have a look around?"

I set my hand on the small of Kaylee's back when I sensed another insult on the way. She really wasn't a people person, especially not in the morning. "We're looking for some pink roses."

Kaylee grumbled under her breath.

"Oh! Rose's are right this way," the blond said waving us over. She walked around the counter and started down one of the aisles. "Great choice, by the way, roses are so romantic."

Kaylee rolled her eyes, repeating her words with a mocking tone. "So romantic."

I leant down so I could put my lips right next to her ear. "You're a ripe peach in the morning, you know that?"

Instead of answering, she gave me the finger. I laughed, guiding her down the aisle until the blond stopped in front of dozens and dozens of different colored roses. She gestured to the flowers with a beaming smile.

"Here they are." She said enthusiastically. "Go over what shade you like best, then however many you'd like to purchase and I'll ring you up."

"Umm.."

I didn't expect there to be so many pink flowers. Light pink, dark pink, reddish pink, pink and white. The list went on. I looked at Kaylee for help.

She bit her lip, giving the flowers a scrutinizing stare. Then, she pointed at the ones a shade darker than the pale pink. They weren't quite hot pink, more like bubblegum. "Those."

"I love those!" I cringed at how shrill her voice sounded. Okay, so maybe Kaylee was right about this chick. She needed to take a chill--pill already. "How many would you like?"

"It doesn't matter--" I started to say when the horrified look on the girls face stopped me midsentence.

"Doesn't.. doesn't matter?" She sputtered. "Of course it matters!"

Kaylee sighed, crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently. "Whatever you suggest, then."

"Well, a single rose is for love at first sight, of course." She explained.

"Of course." There was Kaylee's sarcasm again.

"Two roses means mutual love and affection, three usually signifies a three year anniversary, or could simply mean 'I love you.' "

Kaylee raised a hand. "We get it. Give us a dozen."

The girls eyes practically sparkled. She clapped her hands happily. "Perfect choice! That's like asking a valentine to be yours!"

I quickly corrected her. "Make that thirteen."

Kaylee shot me a weird look.

I shrugged, trying not to give anything away. Toni struck me as the type of girl who would know the reason behind each number of flowers. I didn't want to take the risk.

The smile quickly fell from her face. She shrugged one shoulder. "Thirteen isn't as special, but what am I saying? Every number is special."

"What does thirteen mean?"

"Friendship, or you could have a secret admirer."

"Perfect. We'll take thirteen."

As soon as the roses were bought and paid for, I shoved them into Kaylee's hands. The blond smiled warmly at the action, while Kaylee shot daggers at me with her eyes. Still, she didn't complain. She held them all the way back to the house, where she then placed them in a vace and filled it with water.

"Thanks for helping." I said taking a seat at one of the stools.

"Whatever." She sat down on the stool furthest from me. "So.. do you have some sappy speech planned?"

My stomach turned at the mention of sappy. "Speech?"

She laughed at my expression. "Or you could just write a short note."

"What would I say?"

"Dear Toni," her voice sounded different, lighter and joking. "Please accept these soon--to--be--dead flowers and my sincerest apology. I fucking adore you and I'd like nothing more than to ravish you right here on this counter. Right. Now."

I burst into a fit of laughter, wiping tears from my left eye. "Are you trying to have me killed? I'd need a whole 'nother bundle of roses and some chocolates to go along with it."

There was a glint in her eyes when she looked at me, grinning wickedly. "It would work for me."

"Only because you're weird as fuck." I joked.

"Hey!" She reached across the stool between us to whack my arm.

"Dearest Kaylee, forget that I offended you, or slighted you somehow. Forget that you were mad at me. All that matters is you and me, between the sheets, sweaty and screaming." I said, using the same tone she had.

She laughed, clutching at her stomach. "Oh.. god.. don't."

"I can't help myself, I've lost all restraint! Kaylee, get on the counter and spread your legs."

She continued rolling with laughter until tears were streaming down both of her eyes.

I grinned, leaning in closer. "Something tells me you take orders well."

"You take that back!"

She swatted me and chased me when I ran away laughing.

She was surprisingly fast, and strong. I'd barely made it five feet when she tackled me onto the couch. She landed on top of me with an "umph." My arms wrapped around her on instinct, my heart pounding against my chest. This woman.. She was fucking amazing.

She raised her head slowly from my chest. There was a dangerous glint in her eyes. "Me, begging, pshh. I'll have you begging for mercy within the hour."

Challenge accepted.

I pushed her onto the floor, waiting a moment to make sure she was okay, then ran like hell.