Chapter 16

Kaylee denied my offer to stay here until she could save up enough money to live on her own again

Kaylee denied my offer to stay here until she could save up enough money to live on her own again. Turned it down flat like I was trying to convince her to wear pink and attend another banquet. Sometimes she could be so stubborn, I just wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her until she saw sense.

"Why not?"

She gave me a do you really have to ask look.

Ever sense I started college and met Kaylee, I've wanted to buy a place together. It didn't matter if it was a house or an apartment, I would have been happy with just about anything. She wouldn't have to leave in the morning, or run home because she forgot something. We could stay up late watching movies, decorate for the holidays. Everything we already did, except she would stay here.

Every time I'd asked, she'd say no. I think it was an independence thing. She didn't want to have to rely on me or anyone for anything. She's been struggling ever since I met her. I tried to offer her money because I wanted to help, a loan even, but she never accepted.

She could be so stubborn sometimes.

"Your boyfriend just moved in," she said casting a glance towards the closed bathroom door. "It'd be way too crowded with the three of us living here."

"Sawyer doesn't mind and neither do I." I said optimistically.

She shook her head adamantly. "Fuck no. I'm not desperate. I'll be fine."

"Please Kay." I said softly. "I would feel so much better if you just stayed here."

I didn't like to imagining her sleeping in her car or in some abandoned building. I knew she had connections, but I also knew she had no family to turn to. If she really needed help, if she got in trouble, she wouldn't come to me for help. It's just the way she is. She thinks of it as her burdening other people and she can't stand doing that.

"I said no."

"Okay, I'm sorry."

Her dark eyes softened slightly. "It's not that I don't want to live with you, I just need to figure this shit out on my own."

I nodded quickly because I didn't want to upset her. "I understand."

She sighed, rubbing the spot between her eyes. "What if I stayed for a couple more nights, would that make you happy?"

"If that's what you want, I don't want to pressure you." I said softly. On the inside, I was elated. Staying a couple more nights meant she might consider staying longer. But I didn't want to push any more than I already had.

"Are we having pizza again for dinner?"

For a moment I thought it was a joke, but that little twinkle in her eyes told me a different story. I swear this woman could live off of pizza. I don't know how she manages to stay in shape when she's constantly consuming all of those carbs. "Actually, I thought I'd make lasagna."