𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

A few minutes turned into a few hours. Hyuck still hadn't left his room. Mark hadn't yet built the courage to talk to him. He had spent the past three hours trying to figure out what it was he had done wrong.

While doing so, he put ice on his eye and bandaged the cut on his jaw. The whole time, while walking back and forth around the apartment, he hadn't once heard Hyuck. Not even a sound of movement. It was almost as if he wasn't there at all.

Eventually, Mark gave in and lightly knocked on the younger door. At first, he received no response so decided to knock again, this time adding a "Hyuck? Are you okay?". Again there was no response. When he went to knock a third time, just as his knuckle was about to come into contact with the wood, the door opened slightly, revealing the smaller boy.

Hyuck was in a pair of sweatpants and a large oversized hoodie that swarmed his body, making him seem that much smaller. He had his hood pulled over his head to hid his scruffy hair.

The smaller of the two looked down at his feet as he opened the door to the older boy. Mark looked down at the boy, not sure what to do next.

"are you okay? You haven't spoken to me since school. Did something happen?" Mark asked.

Hyuck rolled his eyes without the older seeing. He felt as though he was being the most oblivious idiot ever. Hyuck ducked under Mark's arm and made his way into the kitchen, not answering his question until he was halfway through making some ramen for himself.

"no Mark. I'm fine. Everything is fine. Don't you worry about me" Hyuck said in a slightly sassy tone, aggravating Mark a little.

"Why do you say it like that? What did I do?" Mark stressed, not sure why the younger was being like this.

"Nothing. Nothing" Hyuck responded, saying it in a near whisper the second time. He sighed deeply before continuing to dish up his ramen. As he tried to walk away, Mark stepped in front of him, blocking him from continuing.

Mark looked down at the younger who continued to stare straight ahead. "Hyuck. What wrong? Just talk to me" Mark practically ordered.

Hyuck sighed before changing his gaze from Mark's chest to his eyes. He looked at the dark purple shade that surrounded his eye. The dried blood that hid a cut on his lip. The bandaid that covered the cut on his jaw.

"I asked you to stop," Hyuck said blankly. "I asked you to stop and you didn't listen. You didn't have to get involved. And now, because of me, you got hurt" He continued in the same tone.

Mark instantly realised why Hyuck had been so quiet. The younger boy felt as though it was his fault that Mark got hurt. He was blaming himself for Mark's stupidity.

Mark took a step back to add a bit of distance between the two that were originally practically on top of each other.

"Hyuck, if I didn't want to, I wouldn't have stepped in. I know we haven't known each other for that long, but in this time, I feel like we have grown close. I stepped in because I didn't want to see you get hurt. I would rather get hurt myself than see you with this" Mark smiled sympathetically and apologetically as he pointed to his black eye.

Hyuck allowed a small smile to form in return. "I'm sorry for being the idiot I am and wanting to protect you" Mark chuckled. Hyuck let out a small giggle as a few tears ran down his cheek.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Mark panicked, seeing the tear tumble down to his chin, then to be followed by a few more.

"N-nothing. It's just... Ten has been bullying me for ages and, well, nobody ever stood up for me until today. Thank you" Hyuck smiled even though the tears continued to fall.