Chapter 2

I slid my heavy eyelids open and yawned as I felt how stiff I had become from sleeping on the couch with his head on my chest keeping me still all night. Saturday morning... the day of peace I get each week. No school or work. I slid my hand through black messy locks of hair as my eyes looked down at the sleeping hero. He looked so peaceful... I had the urge to check his pulse but the steady rise and fall of his chest against my body was reassurance enough. I almost fell back asleep because of my trapped position. I knew that today would be an interesting day... because I knew he was far from okay. This boy went through hell and back mostly alone.

He stirred beneath my stroking of his hair with a soft yawn and buried his face in my chest making my eyes widen and a hot blush form on my cheeks. He groaned and took in a deep breath with his face buried against my chest. I curled my fingers in his hair as I tried to think of something to say. "J-Jason..." I said softly and he groaned again. "Jason... you're burying your face in my breasts." I said uncomfortably and he sighed before turning his head to the side with his eyes still closed and crusted with sleep.

I sighed and groaned as I reached for the remote. I turned on the tv to see the news was going on about Robin's believed death or possible injury as well as Jason's death at the hands of the Joker. I frowned and tried different channels only to find nothing but reports on the tragedy. I paused when one channel was showing me at the funeral and suggesting I was Jason's girlfriend and calling me mystery girl. I puffed out my cheeks before letting out a sigh. I turned the TV off and stared at the ceiling instead.

Jason seemed to come around and lifted his head to look down at me. His eyes seemed to study my face as mine studied his. "Why did you bring up Batman last night? Did he try to save me?" He asked playing stupid. I sighed and ran my fingers through his hair as I looked up at him. "He tried to save you... Robin." I said softly and he seemed to freeze as he looked into my eyes. "I knew when I saw your eyes in your picture on the news... I'd never looked in your eyes at school before... or I would have known." I said softly as he tried to process everything.

"J-just from my eyes?" He asked in shock and I gave a small sad smile. "Your eyes are beautiful... I'd never forget them." I said sadly as I cupped his cheek. "Like you once said... you are never alone." I spoke gently. He seemed to be reeling as he looked at me. I could see the violent suffering he was put through in his eyes. I could see what that clown did to him just looking into his beautiful eyes.

"I'm sorry Jason... You must have been in so much pain... feeling all alone." I spoke sadly and his eyes widened before watering. I rubbed my nose against his as I cupped his cheeks. He slowly got up off the couch and I sat up as my eyes followed him while he paced the room. He rubbed his face tiredly as he paced before he stopped and looked at me. "That crazy son of a bitch, is he dead?" He asked and I grimaced, he wanted to know that he was avenged. I slowly shook my head. "I think he was taken back to the asylum just yesterday." I whispered as his eyes lit with rage and betrayal.

I watched the floor as he silently simmered with his rage and betrayal. I had a feeling this was a new part of who he was... Vengeful and emotional. Batman didn't kill him for hurting Jason... and that killed Jason. I slowly stood up and tried to meet eyes with the boy in front of me. "He's... evil and crazy and the world is a dangerous place with him in it... but to cross that line as much as someone wants to... is a line you can't uncross." I tried to express and he looked pissed. I sighed and sat back on the couch as he seemed to pace more agitatedly. I didn't know who Jason Todd had become and I worried that he would become something very different from the boy I had grown fond of.

Jason was deep in thought and I could tell that he didn't understand what I said. He didn't believe that life was important and he didn't understand the kind of person that Batman could become if he started to think that way. I wasn't sure what he was thinking as he paced the room... and it made me nervous. "Jason... let's get you some food and take a moment to take care of you." I spoke softly and he stopped pacing and seemed to slowly calm down.