Chapter 10

Every night Jason tries to leave without me. Every night I catch him. Fights are a normal occurrence for us once again... And I've started to wonder if he'll ever let me truly stand by him in everything. Screaming is something that we do a lot. He punches walls and doors and he grabs me by the hips and holds me against the walls and doors as he tries to kiss me senseless. He often tries to make me change my mind by teasing me until I lose my mind. I won't give in... I won't let him leave me behind.

Jason was gathering more and more information on the drug rings in Gotham. He didn't get too close and mostly listened and gathered the information he could. If he wasn't doing that he was trying to get tabs on Joker without getting too close. I had a feeling that one of the reasons he didn't get close was me. The other two were involving keeping under the radar.

I pulled Jason's hair as he tried to lift my shirt and go down on my nipple. I pushed him off and started to fix my clothes as he glared at me. I sighed. I knew that tonight he wanted to get a closer look and that was why he was being more intense than usual. "Stop. I already told you I won't back down. I won't let you leave me behind." My eyes filled with a determined flame as I stared unwavering into those beautiful angry eyes. I saw the moment he came up with a new idea and I stiffened as he got up and walked towards his drawers. He pulled out something that jingled and then he turned and I saw it. He had handcuffs. I tensed like a cat ready to spring into action. We moved at the same time and chaos broke out into the room as I jumped over the bed and was out the window and down the fire escape as he followed me with his heavy footfalls. Luckily we were both in masks and Jason had recently gotten a hooded jacket.

Jason gave me a look and stepped closer as I stepped back. "Jason, don't do this! What if something happens and I can't get away? What if I'm stuck there and you don't come back? What if there's a fire? What if someone breaks in? What if I have to go to the bathroom?" He sighed as he stopped approaching me and took a moment to think. "You can't come this time." He said seriously and tears stung my eyes. "I worked so hard to be able to stand at your side!" I sobbed and he grimaced. "What is it you are going to do?" I asked as I wiped away some of my tears.

Jason wore a grimace as he answered me. "Joker broke free and the bats aren't managing to find him... I need to find his hideout and place a tip." I frowned deeply as he looked back at me with guilty eyes. "You aren't going to face him so why can't I come? It's not different from the other missions you go on." He shook his head at me frustrated. "He's got people on his side who aren't like you and me. He's got tricks up his sleeve that people don't always see coming. I can't guarantee I won't have a run in with him." I glared and shook my head at him.

"No! You can't go! Not without me!" I insisted and he clenched his jaw. "Just listen to me for once Eve!" He shouted as he clenched his hands into fists. I flinched and took another step back. Listen to him for once? He thinks I don't listen. I bit my lip as my throat got tight and my eyes watered. I was trying so hard to be there for him and it wasn't enough. I wasn't good enough. I ran a hand over my face and turned away from him. I paced down the street needing a moment to clear my head. "Eve..." He said quietly as I walked away.

"All I try to do is be there for you Jason. I've done everything I can to be there for you..." I said quietly as I paused but didn't look back. I used my grappling gun to pull myself up onto a roof. I couldn't go back to the apartment... not yet. I couldn't sit there in the dark alone knowing he had left me behind. I moved from roof to roof listening quietly to the streets below. I startled as a figure landed a few feet from me. I paused and after a moment recognised Nightwing. I wiped tears from my masked face as he studied me with curiosity. "I haven't seen you around before. You new to Gotham?" He asked and for a moment I wasn't sure if I should tell him or not.