fourteen

The Parts of Me

---

{{ Written by Stephanie N }}

---

《《 All Rights Reserved 》》

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fourteen | The Questions

"You know what's so good about living on our own?" He asked the morning after.

He was laying on his side so that he was facing me. He had one arm underneath his head while the other hand was rubbing my stomach.

"What?" I said.

"We can be as loud as we want and no one will walk in." He said with a slight smile.

I shook my head. "Oh my gosh."

"How are you feeling? Like, down there." He asked.

"A little sore if I'm honest." I said as I turned on my side to face him. I slid my arm over his waist and threw my leg over his. "But it's okay."

We laid there like usual before he spoke. "I wonder how big your stomach is going to get. Some women have small pregnancy tummies while others have big ones."

I smiled at the fact that he said tummies. "Would you mind if I got big? I know swollen limb is an effect of pregnancy." I asked.

He pulled away from the embrace a little to face me. "Why would you ask that? I'll love you no matter what size you get."

I gave him a peck on the cheek before resting my head back down on the pillow.

"Honestly I'm really scared about giving birth." I said.

"Why? What's on your mind?" He said as he rubbed his hand up and down my arm.

"The contractions are what makes labor hurt, not the pushing. The cervix naturally thins out and dilates so that pushing isn't the painful part. The contractions I heard feels like period cramps but a million times worse." I said.

"There's this thing called transition stage where it's the point of the most painful contractions. It usually lasts thirty minutes to two hours, but it's a sign that pushing is near." I went on and on.

"After that, you push until a baby plops out." I said motioning it with my hands. "Oh, and then the placenta delivery."

"Are you not going to get an epidural or cesarean section?" He asked.

"I don't know. I want to see how it goes. If I absolutely cannot handle the pain, I will get an epidural. I can't wait too late though or else they won't even give it to me." I replied.

"But you want to try it naturally." He concluded.

I nodded. "That's what has been my preference so far. Usually, the first labor is a long one because nothing has ever passed down the vaginal canal. The first baby has to pave the way basically."