"That kid has the squeakiest voice in the world."

"We should probably go to school," Niall mumbled, turning in the key in the ignition. I nodded, still cringing. I had been so close to kissing him; his lips were still in perfect reach! I sunk down low in my seat, folding my arms across my chest. Then I winced because it hurt. Niall drew out of the car park and back onto the main road, a pained look on his face.

"I'm sorry, you know," I murmured. "About your dad."

"It's not your fault." He shrugged.

"I hate my dad too," I said. "He's a wanker. I think I was the only one truly happy when he moved out." Mum had gone off her rocker and Tommy...Tommy didn't care; he was too wrapped up in whatever went through that head of his, so I dealt with their divorce on my own. I mean, yeah, shit happens but I missed the days when I could sit down and talk to my mum about anything.

"When he leave?" Niall asked, jumping onto the conversation. The awkwardness soon evaporated as I talked about my dad and his departure. I didn't care who knew; he was a prick. He had started an affair with his PA and it had all bubbled over when my mum went to his work and found them, ahem, in the act. Niall listened and said nothing, which I appreciated because whenever I had talked to Sian about it, she just changed the subject to something more Sian-friendly, like Rick or sex.

"I don't miss him," I said thoughtfully. "Mum does; that's why she drinks so much." Niall nodded and pulled into the school car park. There was nobody in the school grounds, which meant that the first bell had gone and we were officially late. Niall parked the car and I got out, swinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Do you want me to carry that for you?" I looked at him, wondering if he was being sincere. He was. I bit my lip and walked towards him. I felt a twinge in my stomach. I rubbed my abdomen affectionately.

"Pregnant, not disabled," I whispered, a smile creeping across my face. He grinned and for a moment it looked like he was going to put his arm around my waist, but he decided against it. I wasn't sure how I felt about it, and I found myself thinking, "What if?", as we walked into the deserted corridor.

"What've you got?" he asked.

"English," I sighed. Niall nodded, replacing his Shagger persona for the strong silent type. "So...bye, I guess." I gave myself yet another mental kick for not having something memorable to say. I was standing here with possibly the best looking person in the town and I couldn't think of a better way to say goodbye? Wait, stop Evie! Don't fall into the same trap as every other girl around here; Niall isn't the friend, he is the enemy.

"Evie," he called after me, just as I was about to go up the stairs. I turned and widened my eyes to make it look like I was paying attention. All of a sudden, Niall looked really nervous and my heart went out to him, it really did.

"I was just...wondering if you'd like to go out tonight," he asked, putting his hands in his trouser pockets. It wasn't the first time he had asked me this but at that time, I hadn't exactly been in the most responsive mood. And now...

What had changed?

I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Yeah," I said, nodding my head. "Okay." Niall smiled triumphantly; I was pretty sure that he would be doing a mental version of my happy dance.

"Well, erm, I suppose I'd better...go," he said, and he disappeared through the doors, heading towards the science department. As I walked up the stairs, I couldn't help but smile to myself a little bit. Just a little smile, but it seemed to be apparent when I went into English because, after apologising to the teacher for my lateness and getting to my seat, Sian was looking at me through narrowed eyes.