chapter 1

"Proud Black WOMAN. Bold. Brave. Comfortable in my own skin." ❤️

Ariel's pov

im really not that found of my skin, i think it is the most ugliest part of me, i mean i am insecure of many things but my skin is the worst part of them all.

there's nothing wrong with being african- american, im just not confortable in my own skin or body itself.

the way people look at me when i walk in school is also the worst part they look at me like im a monster or something.

i come home everyday cryin to my mom who also looks at me in disgust, she doesn't even look at me when i try to have a conversation with her.

ever since my dad past she has really grown hatred towards me and my older brother, but i know she always liked him more than me because we dont look the same and that hurts ALOT.

he moved out a year ago so now it's just me and now she really doesn't look at me, we rarely even talk to each other.

"sooooooo there's this new boy in the school" Jordon says over facetime, catching me out of my thoughts.

oh yeah jordon is my friend, she's brownskinned and she always says she loves my complexion because of the melanin in it but i hate it and how dark i am i wish i was her complexion.

"huh...? so what...he won't like dark girls like me, maybe you should try and get with him" i say to her walking to my windowsill looking out of the window

"yea....but you know i have a boyfriend, and you haven't dated anyone in a while soooo..." she says.

"yea,no Jay im not doing that, you know i dont even talk to anyone besides you and Ramon so you could forget about it" i say.

i see this U-haul across the street from where i live and there's this lightskin boy with waves wearing a thrasher shirt and adidas sweatpants.

woah was he fine.

"Ari ? what are you looking at"i hear Jordan say

"honestly, i would say i dont even know myself" i say looking down at the phone and back at the window again

"oh...okay, because you are kind of drooling boo"

i walk away from the window.

"i have a new neighbor" i blurted out

"im coming over right now." she says and i knew that would happen.

"okay, see you in 10 then..."

a/n: hey babes so this is my mew story in progress of "The skin i'm in" yes "Troublemaker" is still being updated but i wanted to start something new in the meantime.

i will try updating twice a week on both books. stay tuned.