The Tears Of Uther Pendragon P6

Arthur had made his way to the front line of the battlements, throwing ladders from the walls, watching as enemies fell into the inferno below. With every man he doomed, another would take his place, brandishing steel, thrusting it at the Prince before they fell, as if their futile attempts would have any impact at all. There were enough of Cenred's men to flood the gates of Camelot ten times over, but the knights were doing well, barely a soldier losing himself to the icy touch of death. It was going as well as he expected, better in fact, at least until he heard a rather familiar grunt from beside him, in the heat of the battle.

"Father!" he roared, ensuring that the knight behind him had taken his place in line before he ran towards the King. Grabbing his arm before he could do any damage to himself, Arthur led his father back towards the castle, his tight grip refusing to relent, the Prince sure that the King would run straight back into the fight if he let him go.

"What are you doing?" Uther bellowed, trying to wriggle out of Arthur's arms. His efforts were surprisingly strong for a man who, only hours ago, had been lying on his deathbed.

"You're not well!" The Prince argued, looking around for somebody who could help him, but saw that most were understandably occupied by the devils launching themselves over the castle walls.

"This is my kingdom!" Uther tore himself away from his son, only to instantaneously be shot in the leg by an errant crossbow bolt. He collapsed back into Arthur, who had to struggle to keep them both upright. Dragging the King back towards the citadel, he glanced over at his knights, who were still fighting courageously, but were dangerously outnumbered.

"Fall back! Retreat!" he shouted over the sounds of battle, knowing that, for now, the lower town was lost. It was far easier to defend the citadel, so it was there that they'd make their final stand. If the Prince hadn't been so preoccupied by his father, perhaps he'd have seen his servant approach the enemy army, her eyes flickering gold as the flames, from what had previously been a small fire, suddenly grew much higher, blinding white light separating the invaders from the knights as Camelot's finest fled to safety. But he didn't even notice Merlyn until she'd grabbed Uther's arm and was helping him haul the King into the citadel.

~

Morgana had noticed Gaius watching her, distrust heavy on his features. If Merlyn were to tell anyone of what had happened to her, it would be the physician, the man who'd been more than a father to the ward ever since she'd arrived in Camelot. She let a little regret flutter through her, the thought that there were so many she would hurt who hadn't done a thing to deserve it flashing through her mind, but she suppressed it. She couldn't fail her sister now. In time, she was sure that Gaius would see that she was right to cause this battle, to take the throne from Uther with force. In time, she hoped that all of her friends would see how very right she was.

A small explosion distracted the physician for a moment, so, putting down the bandages that she'd been fiddling with, she quickly made her escape. Crossing the courtyard, trying desperately not to draw attention to herself, she climbed the steps up to the entranceway to the western part of the castle, making her way to her own chambers. Grasping blindly under the bed, she found the staff that Morgause had given her, the power radiating from it startling her for a moment. Luckily, she regained her grip on reality as she heard a faint rattling at the door. She only had seconds to hide before Gaius, who was apparently more observant than Morgana had ever given him credit for, swept into the room, eying the seemingly empty chambers carefully. The ward knew that if Merlyn was to ever bring up her traitorous ways to Uther, it was more likely that the servant would be executed than the the ward, but with Gaius... With him, she wasn't so sure.

He was only centremeters from finding her, the door being the only thing between them. She didn't dare to breathe. If he stepped even an inch forward, she'd be found out. But then another explosion sounded through the castle, and Gaius turned away, shutting the door behind him.