The Castle of Fyrien P1

"Rise and shine!" Merlyn grinned, opening the curtains so that sunlight overwhelmed Arthur's chambers, blinding the Prince for a moment.

He turned towards her, groaning audibly. "Can't you think of anything new to say?" he groaned, as if that was his main problem with being woken up so early.

"What?" Merlyn questioned, barely listening as she stared through the window, enjoying the bustling city smiling in the newfound sun.

"Every morning it's the same thing." Arthur continued to complain, causing his servant to pay him a little more heed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. How about..." she paused for a moment, probably intending dramatic effect. "Shake a leg! Up and at 'em! Let's have you lazy daisy."

Arthur stared at her as if she'd lost her mind, seriously contemplating whether he should throw something.

"No, you don't like any of them, do you?" The Prince shook his head, watching as Merlyn gave him a long look, before sprinting out of the door, barely dodging the vase which smashed in her wake. He probably shouldn't have been terrorising his servant quite so early in the morning, but with the endless council meetings he had to prepare for, it was probably best that she was out of his way. She'd just distract him, and then he'd never make it to breakfast with his father.

~

Unfortunately, after escaping Arthur's warpath, Merlyn realised that she just might have to enter it again: Gwen, who was meant to be serving the King, the Prince and the Ward was running late, likely still stuck helping Morgana. Hence she found herself listening to boring state affairs whilst filling goblets, wishing she were almost anywhere else.

"Good morning, Morgana." Uther's voice made Merlyn look up, the Ward walking briskly into the room, strangely alone. The servant had expected Gwen to rush in, uttering apologies behind her mistress, but she didn't appear. Even Morgana was looking a little apprehensive, as if something was seriously wrong.

Merlyn wasn't the only one to notice this. "Anything the matter?" Uther asked, frowning slightly.

Morgana fixed her eyes on her plate. "It's Gwen. She didn't turn up for work this morning."

"That's not like her." Arthur spoke fairly flippantly, chewing thoughtlessly on his breakfast. He clearly didn't feel the sudden chill in the air, Merlyn's gaze settling on the Ward, strangely sure that something was wrong.

"I know, it's strange. I hope nothing's happened." Morgana sighed, but the servant could swear that there was a glint in her eye, a feeling far different from her words.

"You needn't worry, Morgana. After all, if your maid can no longer be relied upon, we can easily replace her." Uther did his best to be comforting, taking his Ward's hand in his.

Arthur met his servant's gaze for a moment, before turning back to Morgana. "I'm sure she'll turn up soon enough."

"I'm sure." Morgana nodded, a flicker of a smirk playing on her lips.

~

Merlyn hadn't even needed to ask. Apparently Arthur wasn't quite as oblivious as he seemed: within seconds of leaving the hall, he'd taken one look at her face and told her to go. Unable to rid herself of the feeling something terrible had happened, she rushed to her friend's house, terrified to find the door unlocked.

"Gwen?" she called, pushing her way in, oddly surprised to see that everything was in order. The maidservant's cloak was thrown rather untidily onto the bed, proving that Gwen had made it home, but there seemed no other trace of the poor girl. Fear flew through the witch as she picked up a fire poker which had been dumped unceremoniously on the table, perhaps Gwen's choice of weapon.