Gwaine P3

Merlyn watched as Gwaine packed his few possessions, pacing slowly around the chambers, wishing that she could do something to help him. She'd stolen an apple from the kitchen, noting that he was particularly fond of the fruit, but it seemed pitiful compared to what he'd put himself through for her.

"I'm sorry." she sighed, fiddling with the cuff of her jacket.

Gwaine didn't even look up from where he was rummaging through his bag. "Don't be. I never stay in one place for very long, even for pretty girls like you. People get sick of me too quickly."

"I didn't." Merlyn frowned, finding it hard to ignore the obvious pain in Gwaine's eyes. He had some serious issues which he clearly resolved with drink; at the very least, she still owed it to him to try and solve some of them properly.

"After all the trouble I've caused?" he questioned, slinging his bag onto his back.

The servant shrugged. "You liven the place up." She refrained to mention that, when Camelot was usually interesting, people got killed.

Gwaine chuckled, but didn't respond to that.

"Make sure you look after Arthur. He's in danger." he said, uncharacteristically serious as he moved towards the door.

"I thought you hated nobles?" the servant arched an eyebrow, surprised that the Prince speaking out on the drunk's behalf had sparked such grudging respect from him.

It was Gwaine's turn to shrug happlesly. "Yeah, well, maybe that one's worth dying for, eh?"

Merlyn still wasn't happy. "You don't have to leave. If you told Uther of your nobility, he'd revoke your banishment. You could become a knight, like your father. I'm sure that you and Arthur would fight well together."

Gwaine gave her a mournful look. "I could never work for a king like Uther."

If there was anything the witch could understand, it was that. The drunk patted her shoulder, his hand lingering a fraction too long, true sadness in his eyes as he walked out of the door. He turned back once, nodding at her in something like thanks, before walking out into the corridor and disappearing from sight.

Merlyn certainly hoped that wasn't the last she'd see of Gwaine.

~

Usually, when sneaking out of a lady's chambers, Gwaine found himself in much greater spirits, but all he felt was hollow, discontent at losing someone like Merlyn so soon. She was brilliant, mysteriously so, but as he rounded the corner, thoughts of her soon scattered, replaced by those of a woman just as beautiful.

"I heard what happened." Gwen looked at him sadly, as if she wanted to say more, but Gwaine was sick of the sympathy.

"Yeah, well, there you go." he shook his head, not particularly surprised of Uther's wrath. All kings were the same; it hadn't taken long to realise that.

Gwen stepped a little closer, her brown eyes almost golden in the candlelight. "You did a brave thing."

"Hell of a lot of good that did me." Gwaine braved a smile, glad to see the shadows of a grin carving themselves into Gwen's face.

"I know Arthur. He's not like Uther, Merlyn has changed him for the better. You saved his life and I'm sure, one day, he'll repay you."

Gwaine had to admit, the Prince seemed to be an exception to his hatred of all nobility. "He did try to speak up for me."

"Arthur's fair. He's loyal. He'll be a great King." she trailed off, as if she were about to say something else, but stopped herself in time from the forbidden.