The Coming of Arthur P4

Morgana was enjoying being Queen. For the first time since her return to Camelot, she felt truly free, reveling in the changes she had started to enforce within the city. The Pendragon banners had been torn down, along with many of Uther's statues and monuments, replaced with those of the old religion, black and red tapestries hanging from the ceilings. A powerful rowan tree was emblazoned over each piece of silk, a magical symbol for life, courage and protection. It seemed fitting: these were the things Morgana hoped, in due time, of course, to bring to her people and fellow sorcerers.

There had been little open rebellion amongst the townspeople, but that was hardly surprising. There was no point: her soldiers couldn't be killed. Still, the Queen could feel the hostility in the glares of the men and women who had considered Uther their protector, who had loved Arthur just as much as she had once admired him. In time, she was sure, her people would come to see that she was right, would consider her just as highly as her beloved father and brother. With Morgause at her side, they had so much power; she just hoped that, one day, it would truly be welcomed, seen as an advantage rather than a threat.

The soldiers were yet to find either Arthur or Merlyn, but that was hardly surprising. There was little the pair of them could do, anyway, especially against an immortal army. A small part of Morgana remained worried that they were yet to be caught: she knew the kind of chaos that the pair of them brought firsthand, although she had never been on the other side of it. The faster that they were brought to justice, the better, as far as she was concerned. Perhaps their deaths would help with some of the other problems she'd been facing.

Sir Leon entered the throne room, scowling at her banners as he was thrown at her feet by two immortal guards. The beloved Knights of Camelot were currently held in the dungeons, all of them reluctant to betray their false king. Morgana could understand their misplaced loyalty; she was even impressed that their small rebellion had lasted so long, but unfortunately, they were becoming a nuisance. Until she could prove that she was a far better ruler than either of the other Pendragons, she had to rely on her power. She needed the knights to swear fealty to her, to acknowledge her as their Queen. If they failed to do so, it could spark a rebellion in the lower town; she would rather not waste more lives than necessary.

"Tell me, Sir Leon, how have you enjoyed the first week of my reign?" Morgana asked, her crown sitting heavily on her forehead. She had barely taken it off, the weight a constant reminder of all that she had achieved.

The knight remained sullenly silent, bowing his head in mock subservience. Merlyn would've been proud.

"Speak up." Morgana chided sternly, eying the loyal fool with her dangerous gaze. "Are you and your fellow knights ready to honour and serve me?"

Leon finally met her eyes, his defiant expression almost unnerving. "I would rather die."

"That can be arranged." Morgause said from the right-hand side of her throne, her smirk evident through her tone. Gwen stood to the Queen's left, but remained silent, her clever eyes probably fixed on something far away from the tragic knight. Morgana hadn't been certain about her maidservant's loyalty, hadn't been sure who she would choose. The woman had no love for Uther, and her relationship with Arthur was fairly minimal, but she was Merlyn's first true friend upon arriving in Camelot. The Queen would have had to be blind to miss the fact that the pair were very close, but then, once upon a time, Morgana and Merlyn had also been friends. If there had been a way to free herself from the clutches of Uther without hurting Merlyn, then Morgana would've taken it, but the servant had chosen to love the wrong person. Arthur was a necessary sacrifice; the Queen could justify the cost of his life, but Merlyn... Merlyn believed in magic. She should have been on her side the whole time: they believed in the same thing. But then the servant didn't have magic, so it was far easier for her to ignore Arthur's prejudices when they got in the way of their love. Perhaps Merlyn just believed in Arthur, that he would make the right decisions when he became King, but Morgana couldn't risk it. He had caused too much pain. If they returned to Camelot, she wouldn't save their lives.