The Eye of the Phoenix P1

Merlyn could almost hear the ominous tension as she finished lighting the flickering candles, the harmony of disgruntled angels filling her ears as she picked up Arthur's cloak, placing it delicately over his shoulders. She traced the creases with her fingers, smoothing his clothing before stepping back, smiling softly at his mess of blonde hair, a halo of shimmering stardust in the candlelight. His pale cloak could easily be mistaken for wings as he strode forward into the darkness of the throne room, ghostly as he kneeled, a whisper of tradition smothered only by the blackest shadows.

"What's he actually doing?" Gwen whispered from beside her, breaking the moment of peace as she peered into the room, raising her eyebrows at the lone figure of the prince.

"Thinking." Merlyn murmured, honestly not entirely sure what exactly was meant to happen. Arthur had told her a thousand times, and yet, it still made little sense to her.

Gwen just looked up at her, blatantly amused. "About?"

"Me." Merlyn smirked, biting her lip as the maidservant punched her in the side. "Shh!"

Closing the door before Arthur could turn around and glare at her, Merlyn turned to her friend. "He has to decide upon a quest."

Gwen just stared at her for a moment. "And crouching on his knees all night is going to help?"

"Yes, he has to transcend his body so that the quest is revealed to him in a vision." Merlyn spoke with as much seriousness as she could muster, repeating the words that the prince had told her a million times before. Personally, she thought this sounded a little too magical for Camelot, but she'd decided not to question it. Like most things Uther ordered, this seemed a little unnecessary and hypocritical but, as a lowly servant, clearly she didn't know any better. The mind of a king was a place she wasn't sure she'd ever want to intrude.

"And you're gonna stay here all night and watch?" The look Gwen gave her was a mixture of mirth, exasperation and admiration, her teasing grin barely twitching.

"Gwen, this is one of the most important days in a prince's life." she stated, because apparently all of Arthur's near death experiences didn't count. The maidservant just stifled a laugh, wishing her friend a good night before continuing home, leaving a very tired witch in her wake.

If Merlyn was found by Uther, snoring in the corridor the next morning, she certainly wasn't going to tell anybody.

~

Arthur felt his father's gloved hand on his shoulder, the haziness of the night slowly receding. In all honesty, he didn't really understand the point of this ritual: his visions seemed tinged with magic, fever dreams of a time of sorcery and blatant prosperity. As far as he was concerned, this quest was simply for Uther to add another trinket to his vaults, but then, who was he to question the wisdom of a king?

"It is time." his father spoke unusually softly, causing him to open his eyes, turning to face the court. His mind was still reeling with images, flashes of gold fluttering in the corner of his eyes.

"What is the quest you have chosen?" Uther asked, the stillness in the room providing almost tangible anticipation.

He cleared his throat, drawing on Merlyn's weak smile for strength. "I can see but one path, sire. I am to enter the realm of the Fisher King and find the golden trident spoken of in the legends of The Fallen Kings."

"You do understand that if you are to prove yourself worthy of the throne, you must complete this task alone and unaided?" the king looked grave, something akin to worry etched into his expression.

Arthur nodded once. "I do."

~

Merlyn was starving. Apparently staying up half the night had its consequences; as she stuffed bread into her face, she could feel Gaius' disapproving stare.