The Changeling P3

Luckily, Gaius had the good sense not to put all of the potion in one place, meaning that he managed to produce a small bottle of red liquid, the colour almost glowing, even in the dim light.

"That's it?" Merlyn asked, not sure how much more of this ordeal she could take. At the physician's small nod, she sighed in relief. "Oh, thank goodness for that."

"Well, there's one more thing." Gaius frowned. The witch swore to all the gods that if the next step meant her wading through a bog again, she was returning to Ealdor. "How are we going to get Elena to drink it with Grunhilda around?"

Merlyn smiled slyly, looking up at Gaius in contemplation. "I think I might know a way."

~

How Merlyn had convinced him to knock on Eleanor's door in an attempt to find Grunhilda, Gaius would never know. He suspected magic was involved, but he couldn't be sure.

"Well, hello there." the pixie fluttered her eyelashes, her expression almost frog-like as she stared at him, transfixed.

The physician tried his best to smile flirtatiously, but could only manage a grimace. "Hello indeed. I wonder, could you spare me a moment?"

"But of course!" Grunhilda replied enthusiastically, gesturing for him to come into the room. Gaius, however had other plans. He put his hand on her arm.

He shook his head fractionally. "Not here." at the pixie's confused look, he cleared his throat stiffly. "Alone. The vaults beneath Camelot."

"The vaults?" Grunhilda questioned, her expression quickly changing from desire to disgust.

"It's a very private place." the physician shrugged, trying to ignore Eleanor's complaints from somewhere inside the chamber.

The sound of her mistress' voice seemed to usher the pixie back to reality. "I have a wedding to prepare." she pouted, evidently reluctant.

"No one will disturb us. There may not be another opportunity." he whispered in her ear, unable to stop a small twitch of pride as her cheeks blushed red.

"You surprise me, Gaius, but oh, what a lovely surprise!" Grunhilda looked him up and down, doing something with her teeth that the physician supposed was meant to be somewhat alluring. "I'll be right there."

Gaius shivered as she closed the door, trying not to flinch at the foul odour of her breath which floated out into the hallway.

~

"You look very handsome. The perfect bait." Merlyn smirked idly, readjusting the collar of Gaius' shirt.

The physician did not look remotely amused. "Merlyn, if this doesn't work, if it seems that she is overpowering me-"

"I will just watch and wait." she promised solemnly, thrilled by the idea that, for once, Gaius would have a taste of what it was like to be in her shoes.

"You will rescue me immediately." he corrected, an edge of panic to his voice. "And if it does work, let us never speak of it again."

The witch didn't have enough time to reply to that comment, Grunhilda's heavy footsteps drawing nearer to the vault.

"Hello my lover." her voice echoed off the stone walls, Gaius' alarm almost tangible in the air. Merlyn ran to her hiding spot, ducking behind a stone gargoyle just in time to watch the pixie rush towards the physician.

"Ooh, what a romantic place." Grunhilda gushed, stepping very close to Gaius. "I've been dreaming about this moment."

The physician looked about as comfortable as he would if he had swallowed a frog. "Me too."