𝘴𝘪𝘹

˚  ✫  ⋆      ·   ⊹        

˚ ✫ ⋆      ·   ⊹        . . ✧ ·     ✧·     +     * * 

Finn and I started going to school when we were five years old. Obviously the same school, and coincidentally in the same kindergarten class. 

Our teacher knew from the start that we were different from the rest of the kids. None of them knew each other on the first day, but Finn and I walked into class holding hands. The teacher was really confused when she checked her attendance sheet and saw that we weren't brother and sister, but came to find out that we were just best friends. Had been since birth.

It wasn't an issue until it was. Finn and I didn't make many new friends. We didn't feel like we needed any, and our little brains just weren't interested in playing with anybody else. And we loved it, school just meant more time we could spend together.

Every day we would be driven to school together by one of our parents, and then go to either of our houses together and play until dinnertime after spending hours in class together. 

Until the first grade. All hell broke loose. We were put in separate classes, and our parents wouldn't ask the school to put us in the same class no matter how much we begged. Thinking back, it was definitely better. I don't think I would have ever made any friends besides Finn if we weren't forcibly separated, but I still saw him before and after and at recess. Plus on the weekends. We would have a lot of sleepovers.

I remember one certain day on the playground vividly.

The day before, the two of us had been pestering an eleven-year-old Nick with questions. We always did that to him, we were really curious kids. We wanted him to tell us all about growing up, and what big kids were like. Both of us were pretty small kids for our ages, so it was something that really fascinated us. 

Nick told us about how a girl and a boy in his grade were girlfriend and boyfriend. He told us all about how big kids hold hands and go on dates. And about kissing. A lot of that.

So Finn and I were obviously very curious, being the little weirdos we were. We kept wondering why big kids and adults thought it was fun to touch their lips together.

"Finnie, what if it's to boost their inoon system?" I asked him in my little squeaky voice as we brainstormed reasons why. 

"Maybe its to smell their faces."

"Don't be silly, why would a girl want to smell a boy's face?"

"I don't know." 

We were inside one of those crawling tunnels that playground structures have. The ones that adults can't fit inside, but the two of us fit comfortably. So I leaned over to him in the tunnel thing and smelled his cheek.

"Your face doesn't smell like anything," I told him. I was probably wrong because he definitely would have smelled like playground dirt and woodchips, but that's beside the point.

Finn leaned back over at me and smelled my cheek. "You smell like skittles," he remarked.

"Want one?" I said, pulling the pack out of my pocket.

"Where did you get those?" he asked, in awe.

"From Miss. Christina's desk," I said. We giggled like two little demons after that. We were always doing small, non-harmful things just to be rebellious, but we rarely got caught.

"So why do grown-ups kiss lips if they can smell each other without it?" I asked him, still worried about the matter.

"Nick says it's like holding hands," Finn reminded me.

"We do that!" I reminded him.

"Maybe kissing lips feels like it," he says.

"Should we try?"

"You mean try kissing on the lips?" he asked, surprised.

"Nobody will see," I told him.

"Don't tell anybody?"

"Pinkie swear," I said, holding out my tiny pinkie. He linked his in mine, and we shook.

"Pinkie swear."

We looked at each other for a second before we both got closer to each other. We both sat on our knees, and with our faces directly in front of each other.

So we both puckered our lips and leaned in all the way. It was a light peck, and felt like nothing really. We both sat there afterward, severely underwhelmed. We were too young to understand that, well, we were too young to understand the answer to our question.

Right after that, the whistle blew for us to come inside for lunch. We didn't get the answer to our question and were just more confused about it than before. But hey, at least we both had a first kiss under our belts.

We went about our day as if nothing had happened. Our little attention spans didn't dwell on it for more than fifteen minutes, but as I grew older I began to flash back to that moment. It was something so simple and innocent, yet I would find out to be a foreshadowing hint towards what the future may hold.

⋆  ..     * ✹      ..  + ✵   ✫ * ˚         ˚   *     ✺   ·   ˚     *      ˚   · ˚ ✧