Chapter 7

Brandy

What the hell did I just bet? I thought to myself as I set up in bed. There was no way I was going to go through with this bet. I wasn't trying to fall in love or have a girl fall for me that didn't want to be with me permanently. Damn Allison for putting that thought in my head. I had to get out of here and end this thing now. Work that's what I needed to be focused on. Not no damn bet. I hurriedly got dressed and left the house not planning on ever seeing Nancy again.

For the next two weeks I buried myself in my work. I didn’t allow anything to slow me down. Not even the hundreds of text and calls I had gotten from Nancy. No matter how tempted I was to answer her, to go to her I refused to risk my heart. How could I had givin my first time to someone who had no intention of being with me? I had to admit that I really cared for Nancy but she didn’t feel the same way and I had protect my heart. So I did what I did the first time we met. I blocked her number.

"So what you getting me for my birthday?" Allison asked as we shopped.

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Just give me a hint."

"No." I laughed. "We go through this every year and I haven't given in not once. When you gone learn girl?"

"I'm never going to learn."

"Damn right. Your man got his hands full with you." We shared a laugh.

"Speaking of man. Where is your wo-man at?" I shook my head at her pernouciation of the word woman. "I still haven't met her yet."

"You might not meet her."

"Why not? I thought she was coming to my party?"

"We're not really on good terms right now."

"What you do?" I chuckled.

"Nothing. She did nothing either. I'm just putting some distance between us."

"I thought when you weren't on good terms you had to do something wrong in order not to be on bad terms with someone."

"Okay well we are on good terms." I corrected. "I just need some breathing space."

"Who wants breathing space when your in love." I snapped my head at her.

"I'm not in love with her."

"Yes the hell you are. She was your first. And you smile whenever she text you. And you keep checking your phone."

"That's not why I'm checking my phone." I said and bit back a smile. Even I knew that is was a lie. I checked my phone every minute hoping to had gotten a text but knowing that I wasn't going to respond even if I did get one.

"Why are you being difficult with this woman? It's clear that she likes you back."

"Not enough to stay." I said under my breath. "Its best this way."

"For whom?"

"Me. I care and she doesn't. I'm not trying to be broken hearted over this woman. She doesn't care. Shes not staying. It was fun while it lasted." I said ending the conversation with that. She gave me a sentimental pat on the shoulder.

"You can't protect your heart always. You waited until you was twenty five years old to catch your first heart break. That's a world record girl if I do say so myself." We shared a half hearted laugh. I couldn't deny it I really cared for Nancy. Her determined, persistent, beautiful ass made me fall for her. I wanted to say it was because she was my first but I knew better. It was more than that. What was it? I didnt know but it was there and I hated it.