chapter nine

It was now the morning after the kiss and neither one could get the other out of their head. Aurelia had just woken up and was now getting ready. She felt more independent now that she would dress herself as well as do her own hair and makeup. She liked the feeling of choosing her own outfits and styles to how she felt or wanted to feel each morning.

She wore a very cropped tank top and a pair of distressed jeans and threw her hair up into her regular ponytail. For make-up, she only chose mascara and lip gloss. Walking out of her room, she bumped right into Jonah.

"Oh, sorry Aurelia!" He exclaimed catching her and giving her a quick hug, "The other boys are still getting ready for school."

"Okay," She nodded with a fake smile.

"I know that's fake," Jonah sighed with a sad smile. "What's wrong? Who hurt you?"

"It's not my story to tell," She mumbled, "but you could ask Daniel."

"D-Daniel?" Jonah blurted, Aurelia nodded.

"Sorry we're late, let's go!" Corbyn exclaimed, after leaving the other bedroom with the rest.

"It's okay!" Aurelia giggled but her small smile faded when she saw Daniel. "Idontwannagotoschooltoday!"

"What? Why?" Jack asked, "Are you okay?"

"Why do you look so sad? What's wrong?" Zach stepped up to her and placed his hands on her shoulders making direct eye contact. She hugged Zach, and he rubbed her back with his hands.

"What happened?" Jonah asked Daniel through gritted teeth.

"Uh- I-" He couldn't speak. What have I done?

He walked up to Aurelia when she was done hugging Zach, but she ignored him and said, "I'm ready, we can go now."

***

The drive to school was silent except for the music playing through the stereo. So much was on Aurelia's mind. Why had Daniel even kissed her in the first place if he was gonna be all snobby right after?

"Aurelia?" Daniel whispered, "Aurelia, I'm so sorry."

"For what?" She asked plainly, not looking at him.

"For not kissing you twice," He smiled sadly. She finally turned to him and smiled.

"Then kiss me now, if you're really sorry," She smirked.

"I can't do that, princess," He smirked back, "but I can do this." He placed a strong hand on her thigh and she grew weak in the knees. She blushed and giggled quietly.

"I guess you are sorry," She whispered, leaning on him and smiling.

Corbyn was on the other side of Aurelia so he saw what Daniel was doing. He didn't hear the whole conversation, and he didn't want to interrupt their moment so he just turned a blind eye and looked out the window.

They arrived at the school and walked to their first class; English. This was the class with Tony in it and he was sitting in her seat.

"Hello, princess," Tony smirked. Daniel's eyes bolted in his direction and the anger was visible.

"Excuse me? Don't give me some stupid pet name," Aurelia said through gritted teeth.

"Whatever babe, you're so cute when you're mad," Tony chuckled.

"Get out of her seat, please," Daniel hissed, before threatening him until Tony finally went to his own seat.

Daniel sat down beside Aurelia and his left hand instantly found its way to her right thigh as if he didn't think twice about touching her this time. The princess was blushing like crazy which caused Daniel to smirk.

***

The last bell of the day rang and it was finally time to go home.

"Could we go eat somewhere? Like Chipotle?" Aurelia asked Jonah with big, begging eyes.

"Text Shawn and ask him if it's okay," Jonah smiled. She quickly did as he asked.

"He thinks it's fine, n wants us to bring him something," She replied, smiling.

And so, they went to the nearest Chipotle. They sat down, chatting about the day and what they each wanted. Jack ordered quickly then came back and sat down with them again.

As they were eating a loud sound rang through the air, followed by screams and the princess being forced under a table. She covered her ears as more shots were fired.

"Stay down, princess," Daniel whispered. He took out his gun and shot at the men who were shooting. The other four boys were doing the same and the princess was freaking out, to say the least.

She was sobbing quietly, praying she would make it out of there alive. Jonah suddenly ducked under the table and picked her up like a baby koala. Her legs wrapped around his torso and her arms around his neck. She closed her eyes tightly and buried her face in his chest.

He ran to the car with the other boys following close behind. He lightly tossed her into the back seat and Daniel went in after her.

"Are you okay? Physically, are you hurt?" The young man asked, a tone of sadness in his shaky voice. Aurelia shook her head and sobbed softly. Her whole body was shaking with fear.

Daniel took her into his arms and hugged her so tightly and with such love, she felt safe for a split second before continuing to sob into his chest.

"I've got you, you're safe," Daniel whispered, letting silent tears fall. He hated feeling that he couldn't help her enough. She was falling apart in front of his eyes and all he could do was give her a place to fall.

"There was a shooting a Chipotle," Jack said into the phone.

"Oh my god," Shawn gasped breathlessly, "is Aurelia okay? Like is she physically hurt in any way?"

"No sir, she's fine, we're on our way back to the castle, should we be going to the house instead?" Jack replied.

"Yes! Come to the house fast, please," Shawn said. "Tell her Camila is here too, I was gonna surprise her, but she should know now, I think."

"Yes, your majesty," Jack answered. "Would you like to speak to her over the phone?"

"Yes! Yes, please! Yes, I need to talk to her," Shawn stumbled over his words as if he had lost his ability to speak.

"Shawn!" Aurelia cried into the phone, "Shawn I'm so scared."

"It's okay, the guys are right there with you and you'll be back here soon," Shawn replied.

"I- I think it was dad!" She cried.