chapter fifteen

"You're in trouble, princess," Tony said seriously. "Every single day I look out the window and see a masked man with a gun looking in from where he hides in those bushes. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's for you to decide." He got up and went to his seat.

"Dani, what if he's right?" Aurelia whispered.

"I'll keep you safe, I promise," Daniel cooed.

They took their seats and Daniel held Aurelia's hand tightly. Class started and Daniel kept looking outside for the masked man. Halfway through the class, Daniel saw someone in the bushes, then realized he had a gun.

"Everybody get down!" He shouted, pulling Aurelia under the table. "Stay here," he whispered. Then he moved toward the window and began shooting back at the man.

"Sorry, princess," Tony said then yanked her from under the table and forced her in the wide open. She screamed and punched him until she was shot.

"What the fu-" She gasped, then fell to the floor.

"Aurelia!" Daniel screamed, ran to her and punched Tony in the face. "No, no, no, no! Fuck! No, love, please stay with me, I'll get you help I just need you to keep your eyes open! Aurelia, please!"

"It's okay Daniel-" She whispered, "I love you!" She kissed him then closed her eyes, drifting into the sleep between life and death.

"I love you too, Aurelia," He cried.

***

Aurelia opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. She realized she was in the hospital before also realizing Shawn was sleeping in the chair beside her bed.

"Shawn?" She whispered and he instantly woke up.

"Oh my god! I thought I lost you," Shawn cried.

"Where's Daniel?" She asked, thinking he didn't care enough to be with her through her near-death experience.

"Dad fired the guys," Shawn sighed. "I didn't want to tell him you were here but it wasn't my choice and the hospital called dad instantly. I'm sorry Aurelia, I couldn't stop him."

"No, Shawn, I can't lose them!" She exclaimed, then tried to get out of bed.

"Whoa, what are you doing? No, you need to stay in bed," Shawn said, catching her as she collapsed to the floor.

"Where's dad? I wanna see him," She said.

Shawn brought him in and Aurelia noticed how mad he was.

"Don't worry, I fired the guys, you won't have to see them ever again," He smirked.

"I want to see them, dad. I want them back now!" She said sternly.

"Oh, you silly girl, you don't know what you want," He chuckled.

"I love Daniel! He was more of a gentleman to me than you ever were. I want them all back right now."

"You back down now, you bitch!" Her dad said through gritted teeth.

"Dad, that's enough," Shawn grabbed his hand and motioned him out the door. "Just leave."

***

"Aurelia, look who's here," Shawn whispered, waking her up from her light nap.

She opened her eyes and standing in the doorway was none other than Daniel Seavey.  Her eyes brightened and she sat up as he walked over and sat beside her. He cupped her cheek in his hand and wrapped his other arm around her thin frame. He kissed her gently and she smiled. She had missed this feeling.

"I'm so sorry-" He began but she cut him off.

"I've missed you, love," She kissed him again and again until they were laying down together in the hospital bed. Shawn had left the room, giving them the privacy they wanted.

"How are you feeling?" Daniel asked, concerned.

"I feel safe, loved, and happy," She flirted, making him blush slightly. "You have no idea how much I've missed this, Daniel; how much I've missed you."

"Trust me, babe, I've missed you so much more. I thought I'd never see you again," He smiled through his tears.

"Don't cry Dani, we're together again," She whispered, wiped away his tears, then kissed his soft lips.

"I wish I could just keep you safe and happy, and protect you from everything," He smiled, she giggled.

"Don't worry, something tells me the two of us will soon have the castle all to ourselves," She smiled. "I have all the proof I need to put mom n' dad away for life. After Shawn's wedding, he and Camila are leaving for a three-month honeymoon, and that leaves you, me, and the other guys the entire castle to do whatever we want."

"Don't forget about Homecoming next Friday," Daniel whispered. "Speaking of Homecoming, would you do me the honor of being my date to the event."

"Oh yes, Daniel, you didn't even have to ask," She giggled then kissed his cheek.