08 | ❝ I'm sorry. ❞

Kiara

For the next two days, I actively ignored Hayden.

When I saw him approaching, I avoided him. When I caught his eye, I turned my gaze away, and when he tried to sit next to me, I changed my seat.

I knew if I opened my mouth to talk to him or made eye contact, I would probably have another outburst. Or even better, I'd cry--I cried whenever I got too angry out of frustration.

I felt uncomfortable after what he had said. Well, not exactly 'what' he said, but 'how' he said it. I mean, come on, he said he had a sister. So, how the hell could he say those things without understanding what had happened first? It was so pathetic. I get it, he's a guy--but still--that doesn't explain his ignorance.

After the lecture, I stepped out of the hall with Rose, making small talk about her new puppy.

"Aw, I love golden retrievers! They're my favourite breed!" I gushed, happy for Rose.

"I know! He's adorable!" She laughed. "I'll send you a pic once I get home today."

"Yes, ple--" I was yanked around by a pull on my arm.

It was Hayden.

"What are you doing? Let me go." I squirmed, wriggling my arm out of his grip.

"Okay, I was wrong. I'm sorry, alright? Just hear me out," he pleaded.

I looked into his dark eyes. He seemed pretty sincere.

"Okay, fine." I sighed.

He avoided my gaze and looked down at his feet. "I'm sorry for assuming that it was easy for you."

Now that he wasn't as rude as he was a week ago, he kind of looked cute.

Okay, what the hell am I going on about now?

I smiled and gave him a soft punch on his shoulder, causing him to look at me in surprise. "Okay, apology accepted."

He grinned. "Great."

"Also, I'm sorry for just leaving," I said, smiling nervously.

He scoffed. "You should be!" He crossed his arms and pouted.

I had to laugh. "Stop it!"

"Y'all are cute!" Rose exclaimed from beside me.

I scowled at her. "I swear, don't you dare start with that again!"

She laughed in my face and sauntered off, leaving the two of us in awkward silence.

"By the way, how on earth were you able to defeat all those guys yesterday?" I had been thinking about it all night and still didn't have an answer.

He shrugged nonchalantly, "Well, one of my uncles used to teach self-defence and Mom had him train me when I was smaller. I never thought I'd even use the skills until yesterday."

I nodded to myself. "That makes sense."

"So . . . we good?" he asked, motioning with his hands to the distance between us.

I nodded at him. "We good."

"Okay, great, because Chloe's nineteenth is coming up, and I think she will probably invite us over for a party." He said, grinning cheekily.

"You!" I gasped, hitting him playfully on his arm.

He laughed. "Hey! What can I do? It's just your fate!"

"It's just your fate!" the words rang in my head as I watched him run off in the direction of the cafeteria.

●●●