11 | The Past Hurts

Kiara

"Mom, did you see my black shoes with the white shoelaces?" I hollered down from my room.

"I don't know, maybe check them in Irene's room, sweetie," she shouted up from in the kitchen.

The smell of freshly made waffles wafted through the air, making my stomach grumble; I couldn't wait to have breakfast, but first, I've got to make sure everything was ready.

It was the day Hayden was going to video record me for our assignment. My gut was feeling weirdly uncomfortable. I was pretty nervous about it because my self-confidence was not exactly high. I was too self-conscious.

I stormed into my sisters' room and opened her closet. Sure enough, there they were; my black shoes with the white shoelaces. Irene was sound asleep, but if she wasn't, I would have given her a good lecture about taking my stuff without permission.

I stomped back into my room and put on my shoes. Peering at the mirror, my reflection impressed me. I had actually put some effort into my outfit for once. I was wearing my black jeans and a white oversized t-shirt that had the letters 'Kill Kindness' written in cursive, tucked into my jeans.

I grabbed my backpack and rushed down the stairs, eager to put some waffles into my now watering mouth.

I settled down at the kitchen counter as Mom passed me my plate of waffles. She had added three waffles with five strawberries layered with whipped cream and chocolate syrup, my favourite way. I mean, hey, your girl needs a break from boring food every once in a while.

Slicing a large piece of the waffle and popping it in my mouth, I moaned as the delicious sweetness filled my taste buds. It was amazing!

"Mom, your waffles are the best!" I said while chomping, flashing her with a thumbs-up.

She laughed, waving a spoon at me. "Don't talk while eating, Kiara."

I smiled at her and glanced at the clock on the wall. It was getting late. After I had stuffed my face and my tummy was full, I did the dishes and grinned at Mom. "I'll be going now, Mom," I said, as I slung my backpack over my shoulder. If I had to catch a bus before it got dark, I had to get to Hayden's place early and finish the video fast.

"Be careful." Mom pulled me into a hug, her soothing scent of lavender enveloping me. "There are dangerous people on buses, don't get too near to anyone suspicious."

I hugged her back. "Of course, Mom. I'll be back early."

I smiled at her and stepped out of the house. Once at the bus stop, I had to wait awhile till the bus arrived. Hayden had texted me a link to his address. And according to Google Maps, it was going to take about thirty minutes for me to get to his place.

I plugged in my earphones and played my 'Mood' playlist. I was so tired. I couldn't sleep too well last night because I was overthinking about what would happen today. Too excited and too nervous, I guess.

Thirty minutes later, I climbed out of the bus and looked around. Hayden had texted me last night that he'd meet me at the bus stop.

Where was he?

I texted him I was at the bus stop and got a reply within a minute.

Hayden

On my way, don't go anywhere.

I sighed and looked around the area. Hayden seemed to live in a well reputable area. The houses looked respectful, with large, green gardens and tall gates.

A few moments later, I noticed him walking toward the bus stop. He was wearing a black t-shirt and grey pants. It felt weird seeing him in casual attire. He looked so . . . cute and comfy.