19 | Bummer

Kiara

My heart was beating so hard I almost feared he'd hear it. I could hear the rush of blood in my ears. My head was light, but inside me, a million thoughts were swimming around.

Oh, my God! What on earth is happening? Why is he coming closer? Help, how do I react?

"Are you cold?" he asked, concern lacing his voice as he studied my face.

"W-what?" I stuttered, my teeth chattering.

"Shit, you're shivering, Ki!" He gasped, waving his hand in front of his face. "Come on, let's go to the car."

He took my hand and dragged me back to the car. Grabbing a blanket from the backseat, he draped it around me while I stared at the view--leaning on the car's hard surface.

As the sun dipped into the horizon, rich hues of red, orange, and purple blended. The waves were much stronger, and their intensity was higher.

I jerked when my phone vibrated in my back pocket. Pulling it out, I glanced at the screen to see that it was a text from Irene.

Irene

Mom is on her way, Ki.

Oh no.

"What's wrong?" Hayden glanced up at me--noticing the sudden shock on my face--as he placed newspapers on the front passenger seats.

"I-I'm sorry, Hayden. I have to get home right now. My mom's on her way home." I brushed my hair back with my hand nervously.

His eyes widened. "Wait, you didn't tell her?"

I shook my head at him. "No, she wasn't feeling too well last night," I paused for a moment before saying, "And . . . I really wanted this to happen." I gestured to the beautiful view. "You know, she's pretty strict."

He blinked. "Oh, right."

"We've got to hurry." I was now shifting on my feet impatiently.

Hastily, we climbed into the car, and soon enough, we were on our way. I stared out of the window at the orange sky, a few birds flying against the striking sunset backdrop.

"I'm sorry for ruining this," I apologised, "I didn't think Mom would come home so early."

"No! You didn't ruin it, Ki!" he protested, "I'm never the guy to have a date out till it gets dark!" He grinned cheekily.

Well, there's the real him. I was just wondering where he was hiding. And voilà, here he is.

I punched him hard on his arm. "You've got to be kidding me!" I screeched, "I was wondering when you were going to make a joke."

He let out a deep chuckle, and I couldn't help smiling as his eyes crinkled at the sides, the two dimples appearing at the corners of his mouth.

So this is what it feels like to like someone.

I snapped out of my lovesick trance when he questioned, "Did you enjoy today?"

I nodded, smiling widely. "Yes! I'm just sad it had to end so soon," I said, my shoulders drooping. "Did you enjoy today?

He shrugged. "It was meh."

"Hey!" I shoved him.

He sniggered, "Okay, okay! Honestly, today was the most fun I've enjoyed in years."

I felt my face flushing and quickly turned to stare out of the window, hiding the big grin tugging at the corners of my mouth.

"Kiara, thank you." I heard him mutter.