Positive

Clary had watched another seven years of her life go by; she was ready now. Yet as she held the object in her hands, the object that read positive, she couldn't help but feel alone, helpless and just not ready.

Shut up, she told herself, you're 25 now, of course you're ready.

But was Jace ready?

"Clary?" A knock came from the door. Isabelle.

She looked up tiredly. "Hey."

Isabelle noticed the test in Clary's hand, and the pink line running through it.

Her eyes widened. "Is that- By the Angel!" She screamed, pulling Clary into a hug. "Yes! Yes, yes!"

"Are you okay in there?" Jace inquired from the doorway.

Clary looked at Isabelle, wide-eyed. Jace didn't know yet.

Isabelle took the hint. "Yes, of course- Clary's letting me do her makeup."

Jace raised an eyebrow. "I've never seen anyone so excited to apply someone's makeup."

"Well, she is Isabelle." Clary said with a laugh.

"I was aware, but-"

"Aaaaand, that's my queue to leave." Isabelle said, then ran from the room.

"What is it?" Jace sat down on the bed next to her.

Clary handed him the test and rubbed her eyes tiredly.

The effect was immediate. Jace's eyes widened like sauces and the pregnancy test dropped to the ground with a thud.

He soon followed suit.

"Oh." Clary said, watching the unconscious Jace, who was lying on the floor. "Umm..."

Alec poked his head in from around the doorframe, followed by Isabelle. "What?"

~~~~

Half an hour later, Jace was curled up in a ball on the bed, sucking his finger like a baby. Clary wanted to laugh at the irony.

"Clary?" Jace asked, sitting up. He glanced down at the test next to him. "What- Oh."

Clary burst into tears. "I-I'm-"

Jace rushed to hold her. "No. No, Clary this is good. This is- We're having a child, in the name of the Angel!" He kissed her cheek. "I love you. I love you so much, you are-"

"Eww. Okay, that's enough," Isabelle said from the doorway. "Now come downstairs. Alec, Magnus, Simon, Jocelyn, Luke and Maryse don't know yet."

Clary sighed. This afternoon was going to be eventful.

~~~~

Magnus danced around, singing to "Chandelier". A collective wince filled the room as he tried to hit the high note.

Isabelle entered, followed by Clary and Jace.

"So," Alec said, crossing his arms over his chest. "What did you want to tell us?"

They sat down, Jace putting a protective, and, in Clary's opinion, unnecessary, arm around her.

"Clary's-" Jace started, taking a deep breath. "We're having a child."

The effect was immediate. Alec sprayed water everywhere from the glass of water he had been drinking. Jocelyn and Maryse's eyes widened, as did Luke's. Simon stood from his chair, red-faced.

"YOU KNOCKED UP CLARY?" He demanded. "WHAT THE F-"

Magnus seemed oblivious to the shock in the room; he was still dancing and singing around, his glittery headphones blinding everyone.

Alec stopped him in the middle of a twirl and yanked the headphones out of his ears.

"What?" Magnus said in an injured tone. "My dancing can't have been that bad."

"It could," Jace said. "Almost as bad as the fact you didn't even listen to what we just said."

"Then... What did you say?" Magnus inquired.

Isabelle glared at him. "Clary's pregnant."

Magnus blinked. "Oh. That's good."

"Congratulations," Maryse said.

Luke grinned, his sign of approval.

Simon begrudgingly agreed. "Just don't do anything to her," He warned Jace.

Alec congratulated them, and the whole room seemed to hold their breath as they waited for Jocelyn.

She gave them a sudden, ecstatic smile. "My baby is having a baby!"

Clary groaned. "Mum,"

"Then let's go celebrate!" Magnus exclaimed. "Party at m-"

"No," Jace said sternly, resting a protective hand over Clary's belly. "It could be bad for the baby. We're having a nice, sensible dinner at Taki's."

Clary grinned up at him. "Since when were you so careful?"

"Since the love of my life told me we're having a child," He said, leaning down to kiss her.