35

Ciara Mendes

                The two women who sat facing me made me feel uncomfortable even in my own skin. Their piercing grey eyes look at me from head to toe.

My mother stood from her seat immediately after I'm assuming her shock was worn off.

"Ciara. I didn't know you would actually show up." The woman says.

Its been so long since I last saw her. Her dark hair that once shared similar lengths to my own and Bridget was now resting inches above her shoulders in a neat bob, she carried herself with high prestige and the good life was practically radiating off her. 

"I'm so glad you came." Bridget says now standing. She wore a smile, one I didn't return.

I watch as my older sister awkwardly brush away imaginary wrinkles from her white pant suit before sitting once more. My mother followed then motion for me to take a seat.

"You wanted to see me." I say as soon as my butt touch the chair.

"Wait just a minute Ciara. Let's order first." Says Bridget.

As the words left her mouth I saw Delan walking over. "Hey Ciara— woah." I roll my eyes underneath my dark glasses I wore to hide my red eyes. Taking a sip of my water I waited patiently for what I knew was coming next. "Ciara I didn't know you were one of three."

My mother smile, clearly flattered. "Oh I'm glad you think so young man but I'm the mother of theses girls, and who are you to my Ciara?"

"Oh." Was Delan's awkward reply, he took his time to look at the three of us. "I'm just her favourite waiter. Now what can I get you ladies?"

"I'll have a bread pudding, a slice of grape nut cheesecake, a large cheese fries and a sprite."

My mother raise a brow. My sister turn her attention to Delan, "Do you have anything heal—" She glance at me, "Never mind I'll just have a slice of that cheesecake my sister ordered and a cranberry water."

I look at her as if she had grown another head. I never thought I'd see the day when she would order something that might mess up her perfect figure.

"I never had this 'bread pudding' before  but I might as well try it and I'll have a cup of espresso please."

Delan nods before running off to place our order.

"Are you alright?" Bridget ask.

"Fine."

"Ciara your sister said you sound like you were crying earlier,  is everything alright dear?"

I remove my glasses to glare at her. "Like you care." I seethe.

"My goodness." my mother gasp. I slide the glasses back on ignoring their dramatic behaviour. "Ciara I know I haven't been the best mother to you but I'm here now, shouldn't that be enough?"

Bridget place a hand on mother shoulder. "Please Ciara allow us to be there for you. I messed up, your my little sister. I treated you as if you were a stranger, I'm begging you to give us a second chance."

Delan return with a waitress who help him place our meals on the table. I start eating as soon as he left.

"Are you pregnant?" I almost choke on my food. My mother was the most straightforward person I have ever met.

"Mom." Bridget scold. "Does this have anything to do with Giovanni?" I refuse to answer and continue to stuff my face, something I did when I was stress.

I watch as she took her phone from her purse and tap on it a few times with a smile on her face. "I saw this a few days ago, I've never seen you so happy before."

She showed mom whatever it was on her screen, who look gleeful while looking at it before showing it to me. It was a collage of photos on a newspaper article of Giovanni and I. There was one of us on our first date, the other was of us on our second date when he took me to a museum. He was tucking my hair behind my ear while I smile up at him. There was also others of us having a picnic and even one with us hand in hand walking towards his car.

"Still the playboy or has the Flare  Journalist changed his game?" Mother says the tittle that was written in bold.

"Everything is not always as it seem." I say handing back Bridget her phone.

"What did he do?" She ask.

I sigh, these two are the last people I want to vent to. Who knows if they won't throw it back in my face later on.

"I don't feel like discussing this with you of all people." My words were directed to Bridget who frown in return. "Don't frown sister you don't want frown lines now do you?"

"Please Cee don't let what Fisher and I did come between us. I knew I said some terrible things to you at the charity ball and I'm sincerely sorry for what I did. Please Ciara forgive me, you're my little sister and no matter what I will always love you."

I consider what she said. I must admit I was a bitch as well and I didn't even love Fisher. Family was all one had, even if they make you want to crawl away in a hole sometimes are slap them until they were black and blue.  "I'm sorry too."

A smile makes it way on both their faces and this time I return it. Later on when I felt more comfortable I told them the full story.

Several minutes past. "I think you should forgive Eve." I raise a brow at Bridget. "Hear me out Ciara, as much as I hate to say this Eve has been more of a sister to you than I have and its not like they did it while you and Giovanni were together. She was just afraid to lose her best friend that would be the reason why she didn't want him to tell you."

"Your sister is right pumpkin. I don't think you should let go of either of them so easy. You'll regret it."

I knew they were right. Both affairs happen before we even became an us. Still it hurts to know that another woman is carrying his child, a child who will change everything and create a special bond between mother and father.

Where will I fall in?

Bridget

                  I've known Ciara for all her life. Growing up she could never hide her feelings sure she tried but I always saw through her. She was nothing like me, she believed in commitment and love something I didn't believe in until I met Fisher.

The way she looks at Giovanni Haynes in those pictures clearly shows how much she feels for him and the least I can do is help my little sister regain her happiness.

"I can forgive them, but things won't be the same with him anymore."

Reaching over the table I took her hands in mine. "I can't say I know how you're  feeling Cee, what I can say is that I know you'll find a way to handle all of this you're never one to give up easy. I know I've hurt you and I want you to be happy and I can see that with Giovanni you're happy, mom and I will be there for you. We'll help you."

"How will you do that?"

I share a look with mom before looking back at her. "First we'll find out if that woman is telling the truth. What you will have to do is the easy part, we'll need you to talk to Giovanni, a paternity test needs to be done."

Her eyes widen. "I don't think I'm ready to face him."

"Well I think you are, delaying things like this never have a positive end result." Mother told her.

She seem to be pondering the situation. "Don't worry Ciara if he cares about you like I'm sure he does then he will do this for you."

"He would want to know if the child is his." Mom says.

She sigh heavily. "Fine I'll do it."

"Good."

               After our agreement. I consider what I'll have to do, excusing myself I made my way to the female restroom. I check my appearance before scrolling through my contacts; smiling when I found the number I was looking for. After a few ring the person picks up.

"Hello little cousin."