40

Ciara Mendes

                    "I'll do it."

I reminisce on my words from six months ago as I take in the scene before me. Although it's been so long I'm still contemplating whether or not I made the right decision. Will I really be able to  play the good step mom as the real mom go off to make a better life for herself and the two children in her life?

Giovanni brown eyes gleam with happiness as he looks down at the little bundle in his arms while taking cautious steps toward me outside of the hospital room where Rhea was settled in after giving birth to a baby girl.

Seeing him this elated turned my despondent feeling into something more vibrant, content. I know he wasn't excited at first to be a father; if anything I'd say he was scared, scared that he'd be a bad father but since the past couple of months I had to stand on the side lines and watch as he be there for Rhea even though she had Rico there with her as well.

       I'm not saying he shouldn't have been there for her because if he wasn't I would have lost all the respect I have developed for him since we've been together and it wasn't like he didn't give me his time as well. A few months ago he brought me to meet his parents even though I had already met them.

His mom was as lovely as I remembered, his father was a very cold man. He barely spoke ten words to me. Richard was still Richard who commented that if he was a few years older he would have gotten me to be his girlfriend before Giovanni did. Like he could stand a chance. His eldest brother Bentley and his wife was the most beautiful couple I have ever seen though they were married for so many years they still behaved as if they just fell in love.

Love. A word that has been on my mind a lot lately. I still haven't told Giovanni that I love him, I guess I was just too scared to voice the words.

I felt like he knew even without having me say them, his mother even mention that she knew I love him because if I didn't I would never put up with so much that has happened in our relationship and she was right.

"Look baby girl." Giovanni says gently to the newborn as her eyes flutter open, "This amazing woman is Ciara and she's also a very important person in my life."

He look up from the baby to meet my eyes that had already been busy observing him. "Do you want to hold her babe?"

My gaze move to the baby, gingerly shifting her towel to see her properly before shaking my head no.

Giovanni seem hurt and immediately ask why. "Look at her Giovanni she's so small and delicate, I wouldn't want to hurt her some how."

I found out years ago when Zendra was born that I had a fear of holding newborns and that would be the reason I never held Zen until she was two months old, which might seem crazy but I rather be safe than sorry.

He continue to look at me in silence, "What's her name?" I decide to ask as the baby close her eyes once more.

"About that, Rhea thought it would be a great idea if you named her and I must say I had to agree."

I look at him in shock. "She wants me to name her first born?"

He nods smiling down at me, "But why?"

"I didn't ask—" his brown eyes soften. "but I have an idea why. She's in there talking to your cousin right now but if you want you can go in and ask her about it."

I didn't want to interrupt them. "Are you sure you don't want to hold her, if you don't she might think you are mad at her."

I give him a small smile, I know that he is the one who would be offended if I didn't hold her."Come on buttercup you won't hurt her."