Chapter 3: Dumbledore's Speech and the Grim

McGonagall said, "Snape! Granger! I want to see you both!" Harry and Hermione turned around, looking surprised. McGonagall was calling over the heads of the crowd as she walks towards them from the entrance hall. She was a stern looking witch who wore her hair in a bun and wore square-rimmed glasses. Harry went over to her, feeling as if he was in trouble. McGonagall always had a way of making him feel like he was in trouble. McGonagall said, "There's no need to look so worried. I just want a word in my office." She adds to Ron, "Move along there, Mr. Weasley." Ron stares at her as McGonagall takes Harry and Hermione away from the chattering crowd. They followed her up the marble staircase and along a corridor. Once they were in her office, McGonagall motions Harry and Hermione to sit down. Snape was there, looking worried. She settles herself behind her desk and said, "Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say that you were taken ill on the train, Harry. I had to alert your father." Before Harry could say anything, there was a knock on the door. Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, walks in. Harry felt himself going red in the face. It was bad enough that he passed out on the train. He didn't want everyone making a fuss about it. He said, "I'm fine. I don't need anything." Madam Pomfrey said, ignoring what Harry said, "Oh, it's you, is it?" She bends down to stare at him closely, "I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?" McGonagall said, "It was a dementor, Poppy." They exchanged a dark look. Madam Pomfrey said disapprovingly, "Setting dementors around a school." As she pushes Harry's hair back and feels his forehead, "He won't be the last one who collapses. Yes, he's all clammy. Terrible things they are, the effect they have on people who are already delicate...." Harry said crossly, "I'm not delicate!" Madam Pomfrey said, "Of course you're not." As she takes his pulse. McGonagall said, "What does he need? Bed rest? Should he, perhaps, spend tonight in the hospital wing?" Harry jumps up and said angrily, "I'm fine!" Snape said, "Calm yourself, Harry." Harry relaxes as Madam Pomfrey looks into Harry's eyes. She said, "Well, he should have some chocolate, at the very least." Harry said, "I've already had some. Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us." Madam Pomfrey said, "Did he now? So we've finally got a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies?" McGonagall said, "Are you sure you feel all right, Harry?" Harry said, "Yes, Professor." McGonagall said, "Very well. Kindly wait outside while I have a quick word with Miss. Granger about her course schedule, then we can go down to the feast together." Snape and Harry goes outside with Madam Pomfrey, who left for the hospital wing as she mutters to herself. Snape hugs Harry tightly and said, "I am extremely relieved that you are alright. I was very worried when Minerva told me what happened." Harry hugs him back and said, "It's ok. Lupin drove the dementor away and gave us chocolate to eat. I'm fine now." Snape said, "I thanked Lupin for saving you and your friends, when he sat with us." Harry smiles, "He sure knows his stuff, huh." Snape lets go and said, "Indeed, but I know far more than he does. I will admit, however, that Dumbledore has finally hired a competent Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor." Harry chuckles as Snape smirks amusingly at him. A couple of minutes later, Hermione comes out of the office looking very happy. McGonagall follows soon after. The 4 of them made their way back down the marble staircase to the great hall. As they enter the great hall, they saw a sea of pointy hats. Professor Flitwick was carrying the sorting hat and a three-legged stool out of the hall. McGonagall went up to the staff table with Snape. Hermione said, softly, "Oh.... We've missed the Sorting." Harry and Hermione went to the Gryffindor table, as quietly as possible. People looked around at them as they passed. A few of them point at Harry and whisper amongst themselves. Did the entire school already know about him being attacked by a dementor? He and Hermione sit down on either side of Ron, who saved the seats for them. Ron mutters, "What was all that about?" Harry was about to explain it to Ron, but before he could tell him, the headmaster stands up to speak. So Harry said, "I'll explain after Dumbledore's speech." Ron nods as they look at Dumbledore.

Dumbledore said, "Welcome, Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Now, I have a few words to say to you all, before you become too befuddled by our excellent feast. 1st: I'm please to welcome Professor R. J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor." Lupin stands up and smiles as he bows. The students clap for him. Lupin sits down, still smiling. Dumbledore continues as they quiet down, "I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid." Hagrid stands and smiles as he bows. Everyone claps for him, as he sits down, smiling. Dumbledore said, as they quiet down once again, "Finally, on a more serious note. At the request from the Ministry of Magic. Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban. Until such a time, that Sirius Black is captured. The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I have been assured that their presence will not distrupt our day to day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you, to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of the dementors to be forgiving." Dumbledore pauses then said, "But you know, happiness can be found, even in the darkest of time. When one only remembers to turn on the light." Dumbledore smiles, then said, "Let the feast begin." Food appears on all 5 tables as Dumbledore sits down. Goblets begin to fill up with pumpkin juice. The students begin to eat and chat about what Dumbledore had said in his speech. Harry starts eating, feeling very hungry. Once they finish eating, they waited for the feast to end. The feast finally ended as Dumbledore said, "Off to bed, chop chop." They went up to Hagrid and said, "Congratulations, Hagrid!" Hagrid said, "All down to you three. Can't believe it.... Great man, Dumbledore. Came straight down to me hut after Professor Kettleburn said he'd had enough. It's what I always wanted." They hugged him, then they leave the great hall as they follow the rest of the Gryffindors up to Gryffindor Tower. They made it to the portrait of the Fat Lady, who was wearing a pink dress. She said, "Password?" Percy said, "Coming through, coming through!" As he comes from behind them. He said, "The password is, Fortuna Major!" They enter the common room feeling tired. They climb the stairs to their dorms. Hermione said good night to them as she enters the girls' dorm. Harry and Ron said good night to Hermione as they enter their dorm. Harry and Ron goes to their bed and put on their pajamas. He was happy to be back at Hogwarts, despite the dementors guarding the castle. He takes his glasses off and sets them on his bed side table, along with his wand. He lays down and falls asleep soon after.