Watching Over You

Water had been brought to the chambers of the prince. The bucked was placed on the bedside table. The only crown heir of Camelot, Arthur Pendragon, the prince of Camelot had gotten sick.

And Merlin was not able to help the prince. He had tried, but the healing spell didn't work. Not at all. He would have wanted to try again but the king was sitting next to Arthur, and Merlin stod at the back of the room.

Gaius came into the room. He held the last chance they had. Merlin knew in his heart that this wasn't their last chance. Magic could have saved the prince. But Uther didn't want it to be used. Merlin didn't understand why. Uther had told to Gaius, many years ago, to do anything to save Morgana. Why Uther hadn't already told this to Gaius again?

Why Uther didn't want to save his son?

Merlin thought Uther was afraid. Maybe afraid of the consequences. Merlin wasn't sure.

''Gaius,'' Uther started with a quiet voice, ''What is that? The remedy?''

Gaius nodded as he went toward Pendragons, ''I hope so. This is the last one we could use.''

Merlin bit his tongue, his did everything so he wouldn't cry. He couldn't watch Arthur pass away. Merlin wasn't ready to let go. There were too many missed chances. Merlin had missed too many chances to tell Arthur how he felt. And now there was not time.

Merlin would never forgive himself for what he hadn't done. 

Merlin needed to ask one question, tears in his eyes, ''What is it?'' Only Gaius turned to look at Merlin. Uther kept staring at his son.

''Different kinds of herbs, mixed up with Lavender, eucalyptus, and water. The herbs will give vitamins to the prince and the oils make the prince sweat-''

''the fever out, I know it,'' Merlin told. He immediately put his head down, as he realized what he had done. He had spoken over Gaius's words, while the King was in the same room. The king didn't seem to notice. Merlin mouthed sorries to Gaius. The old man just nodded in understanding.

Merlin watched Uther hold his son's head steady as Uther poured the liquid to Arthur's mouth. The warlock heard the king suggest Arthur swallow the remedy. The prince did as the king told to. He always did, Merlin thought. 

Merlin watched the prince swallow the orangeish liquid. Merlin just hoped he would recover from this illness.

''My lord, you should get some rest,'' Gaius started to Uther, ''I will make sure if anything happens in his condition, I will let you know.'' Uther slowly, looked at Gaius, while nodding. Merlin kept looking at Arthur. He could see from the other side of the room that he was sweating. Arthur's cheeks were red. Merlin had never seen Arthur blush, but this wasn't something he wanted to see.

The king looked at Arthur's servant. Uther saw Merlin's worried gaze over his master. Uther noticed the meaning of his son's servant's eyes. It was pure worry and mourning in his eyes. For a moment, Uther felt annoyed. As soon as Uther remembered what he and Merlin had talked once a long time ago.

''You show him the most extraordinary loyalty.''

''That is my job, Sire.''

''But beyond the line of duty.''

''Well... You could say...that there is a bond between us.''

''I'm glad. Look after him.''

Uther was sure that Merlin, the loyal servant, remembered their conversation too. Uther knew how fond Arthur was about him. Merlin was his friend, in their free time. Uther had seen how Merlin served the prince. The servant worked and risked his life for him like it was his destiny. And Uther was glad. Uther was glad because his son had someone he could trust.