1

"It's open!" Cal yelled at the door after a loud knock woke him up. Issac, who was 15, was out with a friend and the twins, who were 12 now, were at a party for one of their friends from school.

hazel walked in and looked at cal. She had her hair curled and was wearing a red dress, similar to the one cal used to love on her. "H-hi..."

"Haze?!" Calum sat up on the couch. He looked around at his mess of a house

"Yeah it's me." She smiled and so did cal before he walked over to her "Where's the kids?"

"Friends houses and such." Cal shrugged

hazel nodded and sat down "i'm sorry ca-" just then issac walked in, stinking of drink and cigarettes. "dad, who's that?"

"Why do you smell?"

issac just smirked at cal and then looked at hazel again. "mom?" He tried to hide his happiness.

"Hi baby..." she stood up and hugged issac and he hugged back. haze giggled. "you really do stink, you been smoking?"

"Yeah, here and there." He shrugged.

"Issac, I've told you how I feel about smoking."

"Don't care." The 15 year old shrugged and rushed upstairs to his room just as the twins entered the door talking loudly to one another

Cal watched as they both noticed hazel at the same exact time and rushed over to her. They all hugged. It was kind of awkward so Calum decided to go cook dinner and off to the kitchen he went.

A bit later, while cal was getting the oven ready to make frozen pizza, hazel walked into the kitchen, talking about how beautiful Alice was.

"Soooo?" Hazel sat at the kitchen table facing Calum.

"So?" Cal asked

"Did you find someone special?"

Cal froze. "Sorta..."

"Oooh when!?"

"a while ago...but it's not...it's just...yeah..." and then cal nearly burnt his hand in the oven and hazel giggled

"You got new tattoos I see."

"Their birthdates on my wrists..." hazel grabbed his wrists and flipped them over to look at the tattoos. Calum just looked around awkwardly. Fuck this was so awkward. "What're you doing back in town?"

"Wanted to see the kids" she smiled at him. "You've done good, hood."

"Nah...."

"Oh shush." She intertwined her fingers with Calums. Hazel rubbed the back of his hand with her thumb and smiled up at him. "I missed you."

"Yeah?" She nodded and pulled cal closer. "I-I should check on the pizza..."

hazel giggled. "it's only been a few minutes.....come on cal...i missed you." She played with his hair.

"It's been....crazy..."

"I know." She bit her lip. Calum looked at her and then moved away a bit.

"Hazel what're you doing?"

"Nothing." She giggled again.

"We've been okay."

"That's good." Everything she said was so soft and sweet and...and chirpy like a happy little song bird....

they looked at each other for a while. Hazel had obviously lost a lot of weight and her eyes were all red and puffy like she hadn't slept. "Have you slept?" Calum asked.

"Can't remember..."

"Ah...okay..."

"Can I use your bathroom?" Cal nodded and as she left he took the pizza out of the oven and called the kids. Hazel, Alice, and cj all came and sat at the table.

"Lacy where's your brother?"

"There." Alice pointed at cj

"No, dumbass," cal laughed and so did Alice. "The other one."

"Out probably." Cj answered with a mouthful of pizza.

"Probably...." cal mumbled and ate

"So how was school?" Cal asked.

"Good." The Twins said in unison.

"That's-" suddenly, loud as fuck, Issac walked into the house. "Issac, get your ass over here." Issac walked over and sat down to eat.

"Issac can we talk?" Hazel asked her son.

"Hell nah." Issac took off with a plate full of pizza and hazel followed him.

"Shes not okay, dad..." Alice said about hazel.

"I see that..."

"issac used to sneak out and go see her, ya know?" Calum shook his head. "He said she was always passed out but he carried her to bed and helped her." And then she sighed.

"He never told me..." Alice shrugged, Issac and cal walked back downstairs. "I uh...I have a thing in a bit so..." he got up and took his plate to the kitchen.

Issac followed. "Heroin."

"Huh?"

"She's addicted to heroin."

"I see that." Cal put his plate in the sink.

"We have to help her. She was your girlfriend."

"She was my best friend."

"Then help her."

"I will..." hazel walked into the kitchen where cal and Issac were. She smiled at cal, who smiled back, and then checked his phone. "Listen I gotta go I have a thing."

"What is it?"

"A thing."

"Tell me."

"nah...sorry I gotta go...the kids can take care of themselves for the night, you can crash in the master upstairs if you need to, I still use the guest room." Hazel looked at Calum with a frown on her face and then snatched his phone and turned it on. "Hazel stop." Cal took his phone back

"Is it a club?"

"Nope."

"or a sport? or maybe even its chess?" She giggled. "you don't like chess. Ohhhh is it cheese tasting? i like cheese." Haze thought for a long moment and then gasped. "a date?" She mentally crossed her fingers.

"No.....not necessarily."

"I-it's a date... right? She tried to be happy for cal. "I...I won't keep you or her waiting then...."

"I'll be back..." cal grabbed his things and walked out the front door.