The Way She Hopes

"This is very important... what was his name?" I asked Rose.

"Nobody knows, but he calls himself the Doctor." She says. My face lights up. It's him, my best friend. He's alive!

"Ah, yes. We were actually best friends on our home planet, back at the academy. He was a trouble maker that's for sure." I explain, looking at the Doctor. "He's still cooking, essentially. It's going to be a while until he wakes again. Try not to wake him before then, it can be harmful, and it still hurts."

"Are you going to stay and help us? Don't those pilot fish things want the Doctor? What do we do?" Rose asks, coming near the Doctor and placing a hand on his shoulder. I tense at that, I don't know why though.

"Well, I'd like to, but I have other things I need to do," I said, which isn't a lie, I need to find my TARDIS before she is done recalibrating. "I need to do timey wimey stuff. Take care of him, I'll be back."

"What should I tell the Doctor when he wakes up? Shouldn't he know about you?" Rose asks.

"Tell him... Panic Mechanic. He'll know what it means." I said, and with that, I head out the door and onto the street.

The Mechanic. Kinda a stupid name, but I deal with it. People call me Mecha, or Mel. The Doctor always called me Mel. He is the only one that called me that. Everyone gets their names when they get initiated into the academy. They look into your time stream and see your talents. They saw me working on the machines, therefore I got my name Mechanic. The Doctor was in a place of healing, therefore he got his name. I don't know how he was able to manage that though, he wasn't the brightest bulb in the bunch. Fortunately for me I was top of my class.

Time Lords actually have a slightly bigger brain than the Earth humans, and the neurons are tightly knit together, making us biologically smarter and able to make decisions more quickly. We have genetics on our side. That's why the Doctor seems so smart compared to other people, is because he is able to cram so much information that he can just spew out facts. They make us study so much in the academy, it's hard not to.

I get to the alleyway that my TARDIS was parked. Unlike some of the TARDISes, mine has a functioning chameleon circuit. Meaning, it camouflages to match its surroundings and puts a perception filter so people can just walk by and pay no attention to it.

She looks like a door to a home or a business, but unlike a house, she has a whole dimension in her. Which, yes, in baby terms: it's bigger on the inside.

I take the key that was hanging around my neck on a chain and I put it in the lock. I twist the key until I hear an audible click.

She's ready.

I push open the door, to reveal an absolutely beautiful interior. I actually might start crying.

"Hello beautiful."

She hums in return, happy to see me. I go to the monitor on the central counsel and see the Gallifreyan writing, Welcome Home Mel!

"Awww, thank you beautiful." I purr, and she hums in excitement. "Ready to fly away?"

The TARDIS hums again, and I push a few buttons and pull a few levers, and I feel the time rotor starting up, "Well, better take the brakes off, huh? That's a horrible noise."

Unlike the Doctor, I actually passed my flying exam with flying colors. Pun intended.

"How about the planet Platoon? I hear they're having a festival, lets go!" I yell, pulling the final lever to make us land.

Rose's P.O.V

"Rose. Take a look. I've got access to the military. They're tracking a spaceship. It's big, it's fast. And it's coming this way." Mickey exclaims, looking at a computer that he was searching on previously.

"Coming for what, though? The Doctor?" I asked.

The Doctor woke up after more of the pilot fish came into the flat, this time, with more Christmas ornaments that blew up. Luckily I was able to wake up the Doctor, but just like the Mystery girl said, he was not in the greatest of shapes. He was spewing golden energy, and he looked like he was in a lot of pain. It hurt to see him like that. I like him too much to see him get hurt.

---

"Help me." I said in his ear, hoping to all the stars in the sky that he would wake up.

All of a sudden, he sat up, sonic screwdriver in hand, and shut down the pilot fish. And just like that, the threat was gone. But I knew that I couldn't do anything without him.

"Pilot fish." he grumbled. "They were just pilot fish."

All of a sudden, he grips himself in pain, and goes to the wall.

"Whats wrong?" I ask.

"You woke me up too soon. I'm still regenerating. I'm bursting with energy." he says as he exhales golden energy. "You see? The pilot fish could smell it a million miles away. So they eliminate the defence, that's you lot, and they carry me off. They could run thier batteries on me for a couple of - OW!!"

"Oh, oh oh!" Jackie stumbled, not knowing what to do.

"My head! I'm having a neuron implosion...!" he grumbles out in pain.

My mom and him were bickering and he eventually tells her to shut up. Thank god, she can rumble on and on if someone isn't there to stop her.

"Argh! Brain collapsing. The pilot fish. The pilot fish mean that something, something, something..." he begins.

"That girl, she said the same thing." I say.

"What girl?" he questions.

"She told me to tell you something, but I don't know what it means."

"What did she say?!" the Doctor says with a raised voice. His pain is growing worse by the second.

"She... she said 'Panic Mechanic' but I have no idea what it means!" I yelled back.

His eyes grow wide and passed out from exhaustion.

---

"I don't know. Maybe it's coming for all of us." Mickey says. He pulls up a clear image of four of the aliens. "Have you seen them before?"

I reply, "No. I don't understand what they're saying. The TARDIS translates alien languages inside my head, all the time, wherever I am."

"So, why isn't it doing it now?" he asked.

"I don't know. Must be the Doctor. Like he's part of the circuit, and he's, he's broken."

I go over to his bedside where my mom fell asleep. I am absolutely devastated, why would he do such a thing? Why would he just leave us? I just want my Doctor back.

"The Doctor wouldn't do this. The old Doctor, the proper Doctor, he'd wake up. He'd save us." I grumble. But I remembered what that mystery girl, or Mel as the Doctor put, said about him. That I shouldn't leave his side, because he is just as scared as I am right now. He just has a different face, but he is the same person nonetheless.

Mickey came into the room, "You really love him, don't you"

And we hugged. God I miss him already.