The Way She Ducks

She brought us to the parking lot, where she opened up the trunk of her car. A metal robot dog which seemed to have come from the 50th century was sitting in the trunk, not fully operational. The Doctor's face lights up like a Christmas Tree.

"K9!" he exclaims and then turns to Rose and Mickey, who were looking at the robot with confusion, "Rose Tyler, Mickey Smith, Mel, allow me to introduce K9. Well, K9 Mark Three to be precise."

"Why does he look so disco?" Rose jokes and motions to the robot dog.

"Oi!" the Doctor says, pretending to be offended, "Listen, in the year five thousand, his was cutting edge. What's happened to him?"

"Oh, one say, he just, nothing." Sarah Jane said with a distraught look on her face.

"Would it be alright if I take a look at him?" I asked. Not to brag, but I feel like I could fix him up and get him operating as good as new.

"Well, it's not like getting parts for a Mini Metro. Besides, the technology inside him could rewrite human science, so I couldn't show him to anyone. But I suppose you can take a look at him." Sarah Jane says.

The Doctor picked up K9 and brought him inside a fairly empty cafe, where I could take a look at the inside structure of him. Rose and Mickey went to go get an order of chips while the Doctor and I looked at the metal dog.

Sarah Jane tried to start up some small conversations with the Doctor while I took out some tools from my pocket and begin working on the communication mechanism, which would be the first thing that I want to be operational.

"I thought of you on Christmas Day. This Christmas just gone? Great big spaceship overhead. I thought, oh yeah, but he's up there," Sarah Jane said to the Doctor.

"Right on top of it, yeah." the Doctor said.

"And Rose?"

"She was there too."

Sarah Jane then had a concerned look on her face, "Did I do something wrong, because you never came back for me You just dumped me."

"I told you, I was called back home and in those days humans weren't allowed." the Doctor said, almost trying to look for an excuse on why he didn't come back for Sarah Jane back in the say. It was almost like he was trying to forget about her, but I would know that he never forgets a friend.

"I waited for you." Sarah Jane said solemnly, "I missed you."

The Doctor tried to pull it off, "Oh, you didn't need me. You were getting on with your life."

"You were my life. You know what the most difficult thing was? Coping with what happens next, or with what doesn't happen next. You took me to the furthest reaches of the galaxy, you showed me supernovas, intergalactic battles, and then you just dropped me back on Earth. How could anything compare to that?" Sarah Jane ranted.

I was moving on to the moving parts, and hopefully getting K9 into an operational state to where he can analyze the oil from the kitchen. The Doctor and Sarah Jane were still talking about the past.

"All those things you saw, do you want me to apologize for that?" the Doctor spat out.

"No, but we get a taste of that splendour and then we have to go back." she said.

"Look at you, you're investigating. You found that school. You're doing what we always did." he said, trying to reason with her.

"You could have come back."

"I couldn't."

"Why not?" Sarah Jane spat back. She wasn't going to leave without an answer, "It wasn't Croydon. Where you dropped me off, that wasn't Croydon."