chapter nine.

CLEMENTINE
It was finally Saturday, and I was kind of excited for the party that I was invited to. I wasn't completely sure about what I was going to wear. But hopefully my mom and I would be able to find some nice things for a cheap price at the thrift store, or possibly Walmart. I woke up pretty early, around 9 am, and I was sure everyone was still asleep. I looked over to my smaller sister, Lily and she was sound asleep.

Quietly getting out of bed, I walked over to the room my brother, Tyler occupied, and he was sound asleep as well. Nodding I quietly went into the living area. Mom was already awake. For someone who work way more than she should, I would expect her to be asleep.

"Good Morning, Clem." She smiled. She had a coffee mug in her right hand.

"Morning mom." I went straight to the refrigerator seeing if I could find anything appetizing.

"So, I was thinking we start at the this sides thrift store, and then go to the one we're use to." My mom explained.

I nodded in agreement, "By the way..." I started.

She gave me a look.

"I failed to mention something about a party I was invited to." I could feel my face heat up. She knew I was never the type to go out and party. If anyone knew me well, it was my mother. So it probably was a huge shock to her.

"Party? Huh." She took a sip of her coffee, "What time is it? Where is it? Who's picking you up and who's bringing you back?"

"I mean I don't have to go." I dragged.

"I didn't say you couldn't go sweetheart. I just want to make sure my daughter is safe from the time she walks out the door to the time she enters it."

I nodded understanding.

"It's just a guy."

"A boy?" She raised her brow.

"Yeah." I tried avoiding eye contact.

"Well I-"

I stopped her, "It's fine mom. Hurry. I'm going to go wake up Lily and Tyler."

I went back to Lily and I's room to find her sitting up in bed. I smiled, "Hey, Lily."

"Hey, Clem." She smiled as she rubbed her tired eyes.

I was always admired my siblings. I reminded myself everyday they were the reason why mom wasn't so bad off. Not excluding me of course. Though Lily and Tyler never really understood moms situation. They're growing up in an environment that is respectful towards other, especially those who aren't able to help themselves, and I admire that.

They understand that you don't always have to have the best or most expensive clothes or shoes to be treated fairly. They hardly ask for anything unnecessary despite being kids. However, mom does allow them tokens.

"Get dressed, we're going to the thrift shop today." I told her.
*
The store wasn't as crowded as I thought it'd be. Especially considering it was a Saturday, but maybe because it was morning. I did manage to find a few new cute clothes for a very cheap price for school. Not shoes though.

I didn't really see anything "appealing" for the party. But then again, I didn't really care how people thought of the way I dressed. No doubt I had a weird style when it came to thrifting. But, what's there is whats available.

"Are you about done, sweetie?" I looked over to my mom who was trying to stop Lily and Tyler from running about the store.

I nodded before my eyes settled on a cute sunflower skirt. Not exactly party attire, but it was cute and seemed to fit with what most teens wore to these things. The price tag read $10. A little pricey for my mom, but I brought some money I had been saving. I picked up the skirt and made my way back to the shirts hoping to find a matching top.

It didn't take long before I found a cute yellow top. I bit revealing. Something I wouldn't normally wear, but it would have to do. I was t necessarily trying to impress Ethan. But, this new found attention makes me want to try more. I grabbed the $5 cropped top then headed over to my mom who was now at the cash register.

"For the party?"

I nodded.

She took it out my hand, and gave all of our items to the cashier.

Surprisingly our total didn't exactly reach over what we wanted it to. We don't go and buy clothes much, so it was okay. We all found new clothes to where. Which would hopefully last us for the remainder of the warm summer.

Sadly, I didn't find any shoes to go with my outfit, so my black converse would have to do. Maybe if I saved enough, I could find a cute pair of shoes next week.

I hadn't heard anything for Ethan yet, but I knew he was coming later. I was eager to get home and try on my new outfit.
-
yay? nay?
outfit at the top or in corner