40 | and it all came to a halt

In a dark part of Jeongguk's mind, it feels like a prison sentence.

The wait to be discharged from the hospital. And even when the day of his discharge comes, the process seems to go by gradually. The boy ends up sitting through a lengthy, serious one-way conversation with his doctor, who essentially provides an overview of his current physical state and how long it's expected to be before Jeongguk's legs recover. Thankfully, there's good news there: the paralysis is only temporary, and largely because of them not being used for a two week period. Naturally, the impact from the vehicle had damaged them, too, but according to his doctor, Ms. Kim Hyorin, the "miracle boy" managed to escape permanent paralysis by a larger margin than expected.

Granted, his head didn't turn out so lucky. But it will heal, she says. Jeongguk can expect recurring headaches for a while; however, on a positive note, the intensity of them should start to relax quickly and improve over time. He's advised to have patience.

And to realize how lucky he is. With how hard his head was struck, Jeongguk could potentially have woken up with severe brain damage, an inability to speak at all or remember anything from before losing consciousness. He could have woken up with permanently blurred vision or an acute lack of attentiveness to his surroundings, but according to Hyorin, Jeongguk has already taken massive steps towards his recovery.

Although his lisp and struggle with finding his words may stick with him, speech therapy is an option. As is physical therapy for a speedier recovery of his legs. But again, Hyorin assures the boy there's no major long-term effects that he needs to stress over.

So right now the only thing Jeongguk is stressing over is Jimin.

At the news of his permission to be discharged, the boy's family already sets out on their way to Seoul to pick him up. And again, Jeongguk can't wait to see them and Taehyung.

But he refuses to go home just yet.

Not until he sees Jimin again. Not until he can speak to Jimin again.

As it had been the day Jeongguk came out of his coma, Taehyung is the first to greet him with tears and open arms - although it's a bit more difficult this time with Jeongguk in a wheelchair, Taehyung finds a way to make the hug just as warm as if the boy were on his feet.

"Stupid hospital, I freakin' hate hospitals, stupid doctors-"

"Tae, c'mon..." Jeongguk sighs deeply as his friend reluctantly pulls away from the embrace. "I didn't...didn't like it...either, but they were...helping me."

"Gukkie, are you feeling better now?"

"I will," he says to Hyungi. The little boy tugs at his arm, gazing up at his older brother with wide, expectant eyes. "I will."

"We're ready to take you home whenever you are."

His father's voice is what drives the nail into his brain. Jeongguk shakes his head furiously, ignoring the surge of pain it brings for a brief moment.

"What's wrong?" His mother reaches out to brush the boy's hair out of his face. "Don't you want to go home?"

"Mom, I can't, I can't yet." Jeongguk's breath hitches. "He'th here, in Th-eoul, I can't...I can't leave yet-"

"You mean...that boy you came here to see?"

He nods, once again, more aggressively than he should, given his head's fragile condition, but he doesn't care. "Hi-th name'th...Jimin." Stupid, stupid lisp.

"That's a common name, Jeongguk-"

"Park Jimin," he blurts out, "it'th Park...Jimin...I have to..."