read if u want answers i guess

lol okay so i guess this is mainly to clear up any confusion, a lot if not most of you got it, but cus of the "plot twists" or whatever i get it was a little confusing (which was the point but here we go lol)

we'll do this point by point:

—jeongguk, taehyung, yoongi, and hoseok all went to the same high school in daegu. but jimin lived in seoul.

—some time before the start of senior year, jeongguk saw a strange person who looked they were watching him, and because it seemed like they were following him, he started to become paranoid. this developed into him having hallucinations, difficulty focusing in school and interacting with people at school like he used to. (the sighting in chapter 15, when jeongguk was driving home after dropping jimin off, is a reference to this)

(this was explained in chapter 37 but again, i understand if it was a bit confusing)

—so eventually jeongguk dropped out, switched to home schooling.

—he spent most of his time at home in his room, playing games when he had free time or just going on the internet, which is where he found jimin's crochet figurines account, reached out to him, found out they were both going through similar things, etc, etc.. except jimin was much less fortunate in the sense that he didn't have loving parents or any friends like jeongguk did.

—they talked for a while, fell in love, the whole bit.

—but because of their schizophrenic symptoms/tendencies, they both had the fear that the other wasn't real. that they were figments of their imagination.

—eventually jeongguk decided to take a trip to seoul to meet jimin to prove he was real (as he said in the voicemail he left for tae)

—after going to seoul, he met up with jimin (who currently lived with his aunt and uncle) and they spent time together.

—jeongguk is later unfortunately introduced to jimin's mother who intentionally hits him with her car

—so this is where the dream, aka the start of this book, begins

—in jeongguk's dream, his mind conjures up a reality where things are more ideal for him: he's popular, easy to talk to instead of being the boy who started creeping people out because of his strange behavior

—not only that, but his mind made it so that jimin attends his school, rather than being so far away that it's not easy to meet with him. their meeting in his dream is much more lighthearted, with jimin's shy personality seeming to be the only thing coming between them talking regularly.

—then there's hoseok, who although they weren't close, jeongguk talked to him on several occasions before dropping out of school in the real world, and he always saw him as a friendly guy. that being said, jeongguk's subconscious took what he knew from hoseok and made the boy into the best friend he thought jimin deserved. (aka why hoseok was so protective of him and considerate of jimin's sensitive nature).

—fast forwarding a bit: jeongguk finds that strange note in his locker addressed directly to him. then of course as you already know he finds several more notes later on.

—all of these notes were things jimin said to him while he was sleeping. (that's what jimin meant when he said "did i get through to you?" in the precious chapter)

—because he was in seoul, jimin could much more easily visit jeongguk in the hospital, unlike the boy's parents and taehyung. so he visited him often, spoke to him while jeongguk was sleeping, cried beside him a lot, etc. (which is also hinted at in chapter 18, when jeongguk woke up at 3 a.m. cus he heard pained crying in his "dreams")

—then in chapter 19, jimin gives jeongguk those crochet pokémon figurines (aka the ones jeongguk saw online and purchased, which led to him talking to jimin, like i mentioned)

—anyway, in chapter 21, jikook goes on their "date", jeongguk talks to jimin about having hallucinations, jimin says "i'm not a hallucination" (which is a reference, again, to their shared fear which they expressed to each other in the real world about the other not being real)

—also not that it really needs explaining but jeongguk's recurring headaches throughout the story are cus of the car accident (obviously)

—later on, jeongguk discovers jimin's cuts on his arms, which, although it also wasn't directly stated, was something jeongguk found out about in the real world (because jimin confessed it to him). jeongguk's mind simply fed the information into his dreams in a harsh way.

—fast forward a bit more to when hoseok told jeongguk about jimin's mother and what happened with that whole situation: it was an accurately and emotionally told story because jeongguk knew all this information already from his conversations with jimin. irl, again, hoseok never met jimin.

—so then of course things lead to jeongguk's really bad headache which then leads to yoongi picking him up from jimin's house, dropping him off at his house, jeongguk falling asleep and waking up, and everyone forgetting about jimin

—however the pokémon figurines are still there, hinting that jimin still exists

—so at this point the reason they all "forgot" about jimin is because in the real world, jeongguk is close to slipping into a deep sleep which he would have a much more difficult time waking up from (as his doctor says in chapter 37)

—the next couple of chapters are more representative of how things were before jeongguk's schizophrenic symptoms settled in. but sadly that means jimin isn't a part of his life, either.

—less sadly though, jeongguk's subconscious uses the wallet on the ground and the hoodie-wearing boy as a sort of reminder of jimin's existence which at the time was threatening to fade entirely from jeongguk's mind. but then of course he gets that package at his front door with the scarf and the letter, which are both even stronger reminders from his subconscious that lead him to wake up.

and i think that about sums it up :D kinda, it was really roughly written lol but my actual outlines are even worse tbh

also i could choose to be cruel and say the gif at the very end might have some hidden meaning at that point in the story but i'm gonna say it doesn't lol. it was just relevant to the story overall that's why i used it.

anyways hoped that cleared up any confusion k mwah 💕