Chapter 17

Next morning, at breakfast Mrs. Indrani Raizada's appearance completely flummoxed Khushi. She looked angry.

"The house seems suddenly overcrowded while I was gone." Mrs. Raizada said looking at Anjali, "I didn't know you were bringing a friend to stay."

"This is Khushi," Anjali said, "I met her in Mangalore when she was working for Arnav at the college."

Mrs. Raizada's eyes widened. "I see," she said, "what is she doing here?"

"She is staying with me as my guest," Anjali said firmly.

"Well, now that I am back, I think you will find it more convenient to be back at your own house."

"I want Di to stay here for some more time." Arnav's husky voice rang out.

"I am afraid that is not possible," Mrs. Raizada said sharply, "my friend is visiting me with her family and we need two rooms."

"In that case, I will leave." Arnav announced.

When Khushi was about to say something, she caught Anjali's eyes stopping her from doing so.

"Stop it!" Mr. Raizada's loud voice boomed, "we have plenty of rooms in this house. Why does anyone have to leave?"

His wife looked miffed at his interference. "Those rooms are being used to store my clothes and other things."

"Those can be temporarily moved to the store room." Her husband pointed out.

"Store room?" her eyebrows raised, "do you know how expensive --?"

"Good morning!" Lavanya walked in, "I am sorry I am late today. Oh hello Mrs. Raizada. When did you arrive?"

"Hello, Lavanya dear," she greeted the young woman, "I came in late last night. Do sit down and don't be so formal – call me Indu."

Mrs. Raizada continued talking to Lavanya as though nothing had happened and it seemed like she had decided to drop the previous topic.

A little later, Khushi stepped into Anjali's room just as she was getting ready to go to work.

"Anjaliji, why didn't you let me say anything?" she asked, "I should leave this place if it's going to be such a problem."

"It is resolved now, isn't it?" Anjali said, as she brushed her hair.

"But I don't think Mrs. Raizada is happy."

"She will never be happy so don't worry about that." She took her handbag out of the cupboard.

"But – I am sorry – I guess you will be late --"

"It's alright," Anjali waved her to the couch, "come sit down. Listen Khushi, are you going to leave just because my aunt was rude today?" Anjali asked her, "if you want to be with Arnav you will have to learn to deal with her Khushi. She is Arnav's step mom and you will be associated with her in one way of the other. If you think you can't handle her sharp tongue for one day, imagine what Arnav went through."

Anjali was silent for long moments. "Arnav's life has been very difficult Khushi. When he came here, he wasn't accepted by my aunt. People might say it was natural for her to reject the illegitimate child of her husband --"

"But it wasn't Arnav' fault!" Khushi exclaimed.

"She already doted on her son Akash a lot but that increased after Arnav came here – more so because she felt that my uncle favoured Arnav more because of his brilliance. She was afraid that he would make Arnav his heir. Arnav's dad realized that she was insecure and to keep the peace he sided with her."