Chapter 20

As they sat together in the flight Khushi remained silent for some time pretending to sleep. "Khushi – about Akash –" Manav began tentatively, "I swear I didn't know anything. Arnav never told me –"

"You don't have to explain anything Manav," Khushi stopped pretending. "Why should you -- when Arnav doesn't care?"

"Akash's wife Sia tried to commit suicide last night, " Manav told her, "that's why he had to rush back."

"What? Is she alright?" Khushi was shocked to hear that, "but why?"

"She is out of danger now but I don't know the reason Khushi," Manav said, "for some reason Arnav doesn't talk about Akash much and neither does Anjali. I think Akash came to Delhi with Sia couple of days ago. He was staying at the out-house, next to the farm house.

While Khushi was still trying get a handle on the news, Manav spoke, "Yesterday – I didn't get a chance to ask you as I was in a hurry --- but why were you looking so spooked while speaking to Shyam at the office?"

"It was nothing." Khushi wasn't sure if she should tell Manav without telling Anjali first. "You tell me how is that you showed up when you did?"

"Anjali asked me if I could come," he said, "She needed my help for something but I don't know what. I went to the house but no one was there. So, I came to the office looking for Arnav."

Khushi was curious about something. "Why doesn't she ask Shyamji for help?"

"I suspect all is not well in their marriage," Manav revealed, "I say that because Anjali always consults me for important decisions. But she won't talk about her marriage."

"You came all the way from US for her?" Khushi asked, "do you love her?"

Manav was quiet for several moments. "I saw her for the first time at the Raizadas' beach house in Udupi," Manav said, "she had come in a few days earlier to arrange for the housewarming party and Arnav asked me to help her out as he was busy. We got along like a house on fire. After the party, she went back to Delhi and we kept in touch."

"I was just 21 but I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and I knew she liked me. When I finally found the courage to propose to her, she rejected me and told me she was getting engaged to Shyam. I couldn't believe it. Arnav told me later that Shyam had seen Anjali during Akash and Sia's engagement and had insisted on marrying her. There was nothing I could do because I was still studying."

"I am so sorry to hear that Manav," Khushi said, "you don't seem to have moved on."

"I am unable to commit myself to anyone else," he confessed, "I am still hung up on her but I will make it clear that it is one-sided. Anjali is fiercely loyal to her marriage. In fact, I get an earful from Anjali from time to time for not settling down. I think she feels guilty."

"Doesn't Arnav know?"

"No, I could never muster the courage to tell him. But I don't like hiding this from him either. I will tell him some day."

A few hours later, after seeing her home safely, Manav bade goodbye. Khushi went into her room and flopped on her bed, thankful for the fact that her mother was out. Questions were whirring in her head but she shut them all as sleep claimed her.

Two weeks later, Khushi stood in the door step of the farm house not quite sure what to expect. Arnav opened the door. "Khushi?" he looked positively astounded.

"Can I come in?" Khushi said even as her heartbeat quickened.

"How did you know I was here?" He stood askance. He looked like the Arnav she had first met in Tonse complete with the beard, the clothes and most importantly his cold demeanor.