Chapter 19

The next morning at breakfast Khushi made the announcement about her departure from Delhi.

"You are leaving in a week?" Anjali enquired, her eyes clearly showing her surprise.

" I would have left sooner Anjaliji, but the flight tickets were expensive." Khushi said for the benefit of Indrani Raizada.

"Oh, I wish you had told me I would have booked the tickets for you," Indrani said, "but it is good in a way that you are leaving on Monday because you will be able to attend the party on Sunday."

"What party?" Arnav enquired.

"Lavanya's parents are visiting us from UK," his father said, "we thought it would nice to have a party when they are here."

"Looks like I will miss you this week – " Anjali told Khushi, "I am going to Nainital tomorrow to bring Ananya back for her holidays."

"Shyam and you have to attend the party on Sunday evening." Indrani told Anjali.

"I am going to miss you Khushi -- let's go shopping for the party together!" Lavanya exclaimed.

"Sure."

Khushi noticed Arnav was silent except for the muscle ticking in his jaw.

"Arnav," Mr. Raizada stood up from his chair, "I want to talk to you in the study."

"You go ahead dear," Indrani said, "let Arnav finish his breakfast first."

Arnav looked at the smug face of his step mother and stood up. "I am done."

"What have you decided about Lavanya?" Arunoday Singh Raizada asked his son as he sat behind the huge study table.

"If you are asking if I am ready to marry her then the answer is no." Arnav stood near the bookcase.

"Are you telling me you need more time?"

"No." Arnav affirmed, "I will not her marry her."

"Why not?" his father was agitated, "what is wrong with her? She seems to be perfect."

"Yes, she is perfect," Arnav agreed, "but not for me."

"Then who is perfect for you?" he countered, "that other girl who is staying with us?"

Arnav looked up in surprise. "What?"

"Don't pretend like you don't know what I am talking about. I may be old but I am not blind."

"If you had understood so much then you wouldn't be sitting there and asking me irrelevant questions."

"Have some respect!" Mr. Raizada chastised his son. "I am your father."

An ideal father should be a friend, philosopher and guide not a dictator, Arnav thought but kept it to himself. "It is because I respect you that I agreed to stay here this past month. Now, it is time for you to respect my decision."

Arnav's dad looked frustrated. "Arnav, you know how important this business deal with the Kashyaps' is."

"Yes, I do know that and that deal will happen – I will make sure it does. But for some reason it doesn't go through, will it matter that much? I will bring you a better deal. So please stop trying to marry me off in exchange for a deal just like you did with Akash."

"Shut up!" Mr. Raizada bellowed, "how dare you."

"Dad, I didn't mean to --"

"Why do always behave the way you want?" Mr. Raizada demanded, "You had a seat in IITD but you left Delhi to do engineering in some Godforsaken place and stayed with your aunt during the holidays. Then you went to Bangalore to work. You left for the US when Akash was recovering from the accident all those years ago. Do you know how difficult it was for me for three years? Then you came back only when I had that heart attack."