Chapter 21

As Arnav tried to understand what Khushi said, his phone rang. It was Anjali asking him to come over to the main house immediately. When they reached the house, they saw a small crowd assembled in the living room, with Mr. and Mrs. Raizada, Akash, Anjali, Shyam and his parents. Shyam Manohar Jha was standing in front of Akash, rage apparent in his eyes.

"How dare you do that?" he yelled. "You didn't think of asking me before you did that?"

"Shyam – you don't understand –" Akash said looking pensive.

"What's going on here?" Arnav walked up to them.

"You are in on it too, isn't it?" Shyam turned to Arnav, "Were you the one who told him stop giving the medication to my sister?"

"This is outrageous!" Mr. Jha exclaimed.

Mr. Raizada spoke. "Calm down Mr. Jha!" he said angrily, "why would Akash do that deliberately?"

"Sia stopped the medication herself," Akash said in a rush, "We tried to force her but finally the doctors said there would be no use. That is why I came back to Delhi. You have to believe me!"

"I don't believe a liar like you Akash Singh Raizada!" Shyam said derisively.

"Shyam!" Mr. Raizada said, "that's enough!"

"Why uncleji?" he asked her, "do you think you can do whatever it is that you like -- just because you are rich and influential?"

"I want to know what is going on here?" Indrani looked at her husband, "what is Shyam saying?"

"Don't pretend like you don't know what is going on!" Mrs. Jha hit back.

"Your son wants to kill my sister so he can be free of her!" Shyam said, his face twisted with derision.

"Shyam!" Arnav warned him, "stop this nonsense! Don't accuse Akash without knowing the truth."

"Truth?" He looked at Arnav, "you of all people shouldn't talk about truth."

"What are you taking about Shyam?" Indrani asked.

"Do you know remember the case eight years ago when Arnav was arrested because of the death of a girl?" he asked Indrani.

"What has that got to do with Akash?" Indrani asked, "Arnav was the one who was in a relationship with her and he was responsible for the girl's death."

"Ma, Arnav was not responsible for her death!" Akash exclaimed, "it was –"

"It was a misunderstanding!" Mr. Raizada cut off Akash, "Arnav was released after a thorough investigation and case was closed. "

"Was it really a misunderstanding?" Shyam asked Arnav, "if the case was closed, what is her sister doing here?" He pointed to Khushi.

"Sister?" Indrani looked at Khushi, her eyes wide with shock.

"Let me introduce Khushi Gupta – younger sister of the dead girl Payal. Arnav did not tell you all about her, did he?" he looked at the Raizadas and Anjali. "I found out when I looked into her back ground, recently."

"Arnav?" Mr. Raizada looked at his son in shock, "is this true?"

"I knew there was something wrong with this girl!" Indrani said scathingly.

Arnav's face went black with anger as he looked at Shyam.

"Stop it Mom!" Akash admonished her, "Dad, please take mom and leave. I will explain to you both later."

"Did you know you were sleeping with the enemy?" Shyam asked Khushi.

"Mind your tongue Shyam or else I will rip it out!" Arnav's voice held a menace that chilled the room.