Interlude - Preparations

Hoseok and Taehyung had since settled down into a hesitant sort of comfort. At least, on Hoseok's part.

Hoseok observed as Taehyung bustled about the penthouse to set up belated Christmas decorations for the party and as he made several calls to various delivery services for a variety of food choices. Hoseok had offered many times to help out, but Taehyung had insisted that he wasn't about to make his honored guest work for him. Hoseok didn't know if he was startled or flattered by Taehyung's acknowledgment of his special title.

Jungkook and Jimin had a ball running around the penthouse like two hyperactive children. Hoseok was continually anxious whenever the two of them left his line of vision, opting to explore further down the hallway that Taehyung had yet to tour to Hoseok.

Hoseok was also curious about what lay behind the pristine doors that lined the hall's walls, but he happened to have much more self-control and patience than his companions, so he restrained himself into a tense sitting position along the edge of the couch's cushion until Taehyung finally announced the official start of the party.

It was when Hoseok had just begun to allow his body to relax against the back cushions of the couch that the unmistakable sound of a doorbell going off echoed across the vast space of the penthouse. Hoseok jolted out of his reclined position and jumped to attention as Taehyung all but ran from his previous task of throwing streamers across the ceiling fans and toward the door.

"Namjoon-hyung!" Taehyung exclaimed with pure glee.

Hoseok released a strangled sort of sound and involuntarily peered around the corner of the wall that blocked any direct viewing of the front door from his position. His breath hitched when Namjoon's lean figured towering over Taehyung entered his sight. A shot of panic went through his body, but then he slowly began to relax when he realized there really was no reason for him to panic in the first place.

"Come on in!" he heard Taehyung say.

"Pardon my intrusion," Namjoon mumbled in greeting.

The moment Namjoon entered the living room, his eyes immediately landed on Hoseok's still standing, stiff figure.

Hoseok watched as his eyes grew comedically broad for a moment before a dimple-inducing smile broke out across his face.

"Hoseok!" he exclaimed in greeting, approaching Hoseok with open arms.

Hoseok accepted the hug with little reluctance and even went the extra mile to pat Namjoon's bent back.

"How've you been, Joon?" Hoseok murmured into the junction between Namjoon's neck and shoulder. His coworker's natural body heat seeped into his own and instantly calmed his earlier nerves, causing him to go lax in Namjoon's strong arms. "Wow, I forgot how good your hugs felt," he ended up saying, the statement a direct projection of his immediate thoughts, only a little slurred and less intelligent sounding than he thought it would be.

Namjoon released a hearty laugh and pulled away from Hoseok to get a good look at his face. Hoseok mourned the loss of the comforting warmth as he stared back up into Namjoon's wide, searching eyes. Hoseok frowned slightly when he saw worry cloud his coworker's usual sparkle, and slowly realized the Namjoon was probably taking notice of his apparently visible exhaustion.

"No need to worry about me like that, Joon," he said, pulling himself away from Namjoon entirely and escaping from his coworker's arms, which had been wrapped around his waist.

"I've just been a little busy lately," he continued when Namjoon maintained that worried expression. "More projects to look over and stuff. Y'know, the usual."