Deal with a Manager: Deceased

Both Hoseok and Jungkook decided to put their situation on the back-burner because there were more pressing matters.

"Why would becoming a demon get rid of a demon's curse? If the demon's curse inflicts memory loss, then why would forgetting your entire past as a human help that?"

"It's like how a demon no longer has possession of a soul once their client becomes a demon: all previous notions are null in the face of a shared sin."

Hoseok came to a halt once they stood outside Yoongi's apartment complex. "Then...if Taehyung-ah became a demon and worked under Yoongi-ssi, he would eventually regain all of his memories, right? Both past and present?"

Jungkook stopped at the foot of the stairwell to look back at Hoseok. "That's right."

"Do you think he would give up his current life just to remember a life that's already passed?"

Jungkook craned his neck upward, gaze intent on Yoongi's apartment door just a floor above them. "Lover Boy would know what's best for him, hyung. So," he continued as he lowered his eyes to meet Hoseok's once again, "don't try to waste time speculating on someone else's decision."

Hoseok bristled at Jungkook's dismissive answer, but he settled back down when he realized that the demon was just trying to keep him from getting riled up. At the end of the day, Hoseok had no say in how Taehyung should handle his life.

Hoseok took a deep, steeling breath, and followed Jungkook up those daunting stairs.

Hoseok stayed quiet behind Jungkook as he led them to the door of Yoongi's apartment, as Jungkook tread into the foreign depths of the hushed home.

As they neared the bedrooms, Hoseok could hear the muffled voices of Yoongi and Taehyung talking with one another. Their tones sounded animated and lively—as lively as Yoongi could sound, Hoseok supposed—and Hoseok felt like destiny. Because even if Yoongi had recognized him instantaneously, the demon hadn't been as friendly with Hoseok as he was with Taehyung, and Hoseok wondered if fate was trying to make up for their previous tragic end by allowing them a spontaneous connection with each other.

Jungkook knocked on the door, and the voices instantly muted themselves. There was some shuffling, some muttering, and Yoongi opened the door with a scrutinizing stare.

"It doesn't look like it's good news," Yoongi said after a moment's consideration.

Whatever expression Jungkook wore made Yoongi grow a deep frown.

"Well," Yoongi sighed as he moved out of the doorway, "not that I was expecting anything good in the first place."

Jungkook entered the bedroom wordlessly, and Hoseok followed suit. He felt his earlier tension return to his body when he met Taehyung's imploring eyes. He promptly averted his gaze to the pasty white walls.

Hoseok heard Yoongi shut the door behind him, and he watched from his peripheral as Yoongi shuffled back into his office chair, which had since migrated from the desk to the bedside. Yoongi stared both Hoseok and Jungkook down with a grim look.

Taehyung cleared his throat, effectively cutting through the frigid atmosphere. "Well, Hoseokie? Jungkook-ah? Did you manage to find anything?" he asked, voice polite, but his rigid posture exposed his anxious expectancy.

Jungkook looked over his shoulder toward Hoseok. "Hyung?" he prompted.

Hoseok sucked in another deep gulp of air, setting his nerves alight. Because oxygen always fanned the flames, right?

"We confirmed it was a curse from a demon," Hoseok spoke, eyes glued to the plaster slab above Taehyung's head. "And we..." Hoseok hesitated over his words, impatiently drumming his fingers along his thighs. Because he was keeping valuable information from Taehyung for his own selfish interests. Because he couldn't swallow past the oncoming panic—the revolting taste of bile—that threatened to part his trembling lips.