Chapter Seven

Several moons passed since the apprenticeship of Wolfpaw and Dartpaw. They are busy trying to make the final assesment.
RedClaw stared at Wolfpaw anxiously as she was stalking a white thrush. Her fur brushed lightly against the tall grass. The thrush peered up and notices a twig like figure slowly moving in the grass. Stupid of the thrush, Wolfpaw lunged for the bird and snapped it's neck.
"Great catch! I'm sure MoonStar will be pleased!" RedClaw praised. He buried it near an old beech.
Wolfpaw nodded and went on to the camp with her mentor.
Duststorm and RedClaw padded into MoonStar's den and had a small discussion.
MoonStar stood at the Highledge solemnly.
"May all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather before me to hear my words!" She yowled sternly.
"Today, we have two apprentices who have passed their final assessment and become a warrior."

"DartPaw, please step up." she ordered
DartPaw did so, and strode to the top. MoonStar touched his shoulder with her tail tip.
"From this day forward, by the powers of StarClan, this apprentice shall be known as, Dartmouth. For he is quick at the bite and the words." She announced.
The cats chanted "Dartmouth, Dartmouth!" Until the cheer died off.

"WolfPaw, step up." MoonStar yowled.
All the ThunderClan cats stared at WolfPaw, as she gruffly trotted to the ledge.
She once more touch the broad, powerful shoulder of WolfPaw with her tail tip. "From this day on, by the powers of StarClan, this apprentice shall be known as, WolfFang. For she has a a great fighting spirit of a wolf and her fierce loyalty.
Then a thundering cheer rose from her clanmates. "WolfFang, WolfFang, WolfFang!" They chanted proudly. WolfFang never felt this much gratitude in her lifetime.

------

That night, Wolffang sat on guard near the bramble entrance. Dartmouth stayed near the moor. WolfFang felt alone, scared under darkness. She looked up at the moon and stars. Her warrior ancestors gleamed above. Wolffang didn't feel so alone anymore, she knew her StarClan ancestors will always watch her from above.
The moon was half full. It would be only a matter of time when the next gathering will take place.
Wolffang heard the distant howls, Wails, and barks of dogs not too far away.
She remembered the recent battle ThunderClan had with a large pack of feral dogs. Then, the sky began to turn into a dark red as the sun peeked over the horizon.
The vigil was over.