Chapter 26

Leo POV

We traveled for a few days and finally, we saw the silhouette of The Ruins with the sunset shining behind it.

If this was not a very critical mission, I would've stayed here and admired the view even just for a few more minutes.

But there was no time for that.

"We're finally here" Kit announced.

I nodded "No turning back now," I said.

"We don't have anything to come back to if we turn back and not finish this mission," Ramona said.

It was true. If we fail, we would live the rest of our lives running away from The Savages. They already penetrated our walls, it's no brainer that they can do it again, especially now that we lost a lot of our knights. We have no protection.

Josh nodded "Then we have no choice but to bring home that victory," said with determination.

"Then let's fucking win this" Kit said before smacking his horse to run.

We rode and stopped a few kilometers away from The Ruins to hitch our horses where they were hidden by the trees.

I caressed my horse "I'll be back Fury" I said affectionately.

Then the three of us looked for the best way in, while Ramona looked for a better vantage point.

We came closer to The Ruins and saw walls that are broken down to rubble, statues that are losing a couple of parts, nonexistent doors, and human bones scattered around the place. It gave the feel of death that somehow made the air thicker.

We looked around but we can't see a single Savage. I'm getting a bad feeling that maybe I was wrong, maybe The Ruins isn't their headquarters.

Kit and Josh kept on glancing at me, waiting for an order.

"I got a bad feeling that maybe we got the wrong place," Kit said carefully.

It was so quiet. There were no signs of life. Even animals and plants aren't present.

I sighed "Fuck" I cursed.

I heard someone running towards us. I looked back and saw Ramona "I can't see anyone from up the hill" she announced "No one's here," she said sadly. Even though Ramona is the most pessimistic of us all, she was still hoping that this was the base. We all want to save our kingdom, we all want this over.

We were all feeling the wave of defeat. Why can't I just do anything right? I've disappointed a lot of people already by deceiving them, my father, the king, Isabelle, Judy, and Alia. This was supposed to be my redemption.

I felt myself giving up.

We started to walk back to our horses to make a new plan.

"Shhh" Suddenly Josh signaled us to keep quiet.

We looked at Josh confused and he pointed at something on the ground a few meters from us and we saw it opening. It looked like some kind of trapdoor for a bunker. It was hidden by rocks and soil, so we didn't notice it.

We hid behind a wall that is barely standing. We saw the ground open fully and revealed two Savages talking.

The four of us looked at each other and smiled. We weren't hopeless.

"Okay, we camp for a few days. We need to observe their routine and need to find out where are the other entrances. Gather as much information you can and when we have enough, we attack" I instructed.

They nodded and got to their positions. Ramona went back to the hill, Kit and Josh rounded the area and I tried following the Savages and hoping they say something important that we could use.

While they were walking I sneaked behind and hid from wall to wall.

They were speaking about useless things that aren't remotely useful until one of them asked "When will the carriages arrive?" One Savage asked.

The other one shrugged. "I think it'll arrive tomorrow, finally. Resource is becoming scarce" The other one replied.

That's how they were surviving in this kind of environment. They had supplies being brought here. The question is, who is supplying them?

I followed them until they went to a part of the ruins that isn't as broken as the other areas.

I sighed. I guess that information is enough for now.

I walked where we tied our horses, it served as our meeting place.

I saw three of them seated on the ground "You guys got something good?" I asked.

Kit stood up "We saw a couple of trapdoors but were not sure if it's working. We made a map where it's all located" he pointed to what Josh was holding.

I nodded. I turned my attention to Ramona "Did you find anything?" I asked.

She nodded "I don't know if it's useful, but I saw a trail from the far back. It could be where the King gets picked up by a carriage and travel"

"Or it could be where the carriages drop their supplies," I thought aloud.

Josh looked confused "What supplies?" He asked.

I sat down beside them "I heard the two savages talking about their supplies coming tomorrow. We need to intercept it. That's our first hit, they can't function without their supplies" I informed.

Kit's eyes widened with excitement "That's perfect. It's all coming together"

I nodded "We need to be as stealthy as possible. We can't cause alarm. We need them to think that it was just delayed" I said.

They nodded and we planned for a few hours. Hopefully, the first part of our mission will be successful tomorrow and make us closer to going home.

♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘♘

A/N: Thank you :))