22-1: Barbecue

"If you feel guilty, you should talk to him."

I squared myself, shifting my gaze away from Koyuki and onto Miko beside me. Since we'd returned to school to head on our field trip, neither of us were wearing our school uniform, but even donned in her floral blouse and jeans, her pointed look was still very much intimidating.

Sweatdropping, I scanned my peers, twittering in their respective groups while waiting for the approval from the various homeroom teachers scattered around to enter the buses. I found myself staring at Koyuki yet again. He was nonchalantly conversing with some boys in our class.

I veered my attention to the ground. Seeing my reluctance, she frowned, once again crossing her arms.

"Ignoring him won't change anything."

"But it's awkward," I said.

He'd been avoiding me at school earlier today. I also felt guilty about belittling his detachment to baking despite not knowing his circumstances. Regardless, Miko was adamant.

"Don't care," she said. "On this trip, you're going to set things straight. Tamura's an important friend of yours, right? Do you really want to leave things like this between you two?"

I whipped my head side to side with a vigorous shake. "Of course not! I need Koyuki!"

"Then you have to do your best." A semblance of a smile upturned the corners of her mouth—a consolation, if anything. "I hate to admit it, but he's become a great friend to the both of us. Having him around to retort to your behaviour alongside me is something I never knew I needed until we got properly acquainted. He makes my life a whole lot easier."

I made a face. "I'm not that much trouble."

Miko merely giggled. She was so making fun of me.

Sure our argument had made things awkward between us, but it wasn't as if we couldn't fix it. I just had to find a way to get him alone so we could talk things out. And—if possible—I also had to find a way to sneak some of the snacks Miko brought with her when she wasn't looking.

It was going to be a long night.

The bus ride to the location of the event didn't take long, but by the time we rolled up to a secluded cabin ways off from any means of civilization, the sun had already begun to set

The bus ride to the location of the event didn't take long, but by the time we rolled up to a secluded cabin ways off from any means of civilization, the sun had already begun to set. As the plan was to start the Test of Courage as soon as it got dark enough, we had time to kill, which meant having an outdoor barbecue courtesy of Mrs. Isashiki and a couple other second year instructors planning well ahead.

The girls were left in charge of preparing the food while the boys were responsible for the actual grilling. Unsurprisingly, the entire campsite was doused in a cacophony of conversation and laughter, making it hard to believe we'd have that haunted occasion in only a short while.

Considering my knack at burning everything I touched, most of the girls in my class shooed me to help with the drinks as far from the grill as possible. The concern was understandable, but it still hurt being treated like a pest.