30: Donuts

The competition hall was larger than a soccer stadium. Each individual station alongside the floors shined like stars in the night sky. Only problem was, the lady at the front desk was asking way too many questions.

"I'm sorry. The fifth participant is where, exactly?"

"They're... coming, obviously," I lied through my teeth despite sweating buckets. "The traffic must be bad or something."

She didn't buy a single word. However, despite her dubious expression, she jotted down my answer on a sheet. "Just so you're aware, every team must have a total of five members. If not, you'll be disqualified."

"We know that, of course." I forced a chuckle. "Why else would we sign up? To get disqualified from the get-go? Of course not. Haha."

I discreetly turned. Sweat dribbled down my temple.

Koyuki's eyes were dark.

Oh no. I was going to be killed.

"May I get a name?"

I recoiled for another reason entirely. "Name?"

"For this fifth participant," she said apathetically. "It's required. Do you possibly not have one?"

A beat of silence.

"Wh-what?" I surveyed our surroundings, playing it off with a scoff. "D-do I have one? They are the fifth member. That I totally have. Why wouldn't I know their name?"

Her black stare bore right through me.

"Their name is, you know," I continued, matter-of-factly. My eyes skimmed the boy behind me, who had an angel wing logo on his sweater. "I-Is," I sputtered onward, "Saint."

"Saint?" she deadpanned.

Hayate cowered behind Chiaki.

"If you're joking—"

I was shoved aside. Koyuki took my place.

"It's a nickname," he said. "They'll be here."

The lady expunged a sigh. She lethargically extended yellow tags for us to take. "The change rooms are over there. After putting on the mandatory uniforms, please standby at the station written on these tags until further instructions are given."

I expelled the breath I'd been holding. Then, swift as a fox, swiped the tags and bolted.

Her voice rang out before I could get far.

"The latest your... saint can arrive is their turn in the competition."

I flinched. However, instead of saying anymore, she returned to tending the next group in line.

With her back turned, I scurried fast as my legs could carry me into the enormous hall.

I didn't make it past the doors.

"Te-ru-ha-shi."

A chill ran up my spine. I craned my neck but the three of them had already manoeuvred to block my path and potential escape.